Chapter 11

"You like it, Kagome..?" InuYasha asked quietly. It was unusual for him not to growl or yell, but he didn't want to do, or say anything that could possibly anger her and make her tell him to sit and thus ruin the moment. She was happy. What more could he ask for?

"Do I like it? Are you kidding? I LOVE it!" exclaimed a smiling Kagome as her chocolate-colored eyes sparkled brightly like stars in the night sky. After having expressed her excitement over her new kimono, she practically threw herself at the hanyou sitting so quietly beside her and wrapped her arms around him in a tight hug. "Thank you so much!"

InuYasha was at first surprised by the sudden gesture, but he eventually returned the hug, letting his arms rest on the girl's back as well. Just as he was about to reply with a muffled "you're welcome," Kagome spoke up once again. "Where did you find such a beautiful kimono, anyway?" she inquired rather curiously. She was almost certain it was from the world beyond the well, but it was so gorgeous that it could just as well have been bought in a store in the modern day world. As InuYasha explained to Kagome where he had found and bought her present, the rest of Kagome's family (and especially her grandfather) listened carefully as the hanyou described the village in Feudal Japan to them.

While listening to the hanyou's story, along with her family, Kagome found herself deep in thought; was there a coincidence that both her and InuYasha had bought new, and not to mention expensive kimonos as a Christmas present for the other? InuYasha couldn't have been watching her looking for the perfect gift for him, without her knowledge, could he? It seemed unthinkable, but Kagome concluded with having to consider it a possibility for now and ask him about it later instead. Out of pure curiosity, of course.

She waited until he had finished telling his story to announce that she had something she wanted to give to him as well. The hanyou seemed to have been missing the point about Christmas presents, because his reaction to her announcement implied that he clearly didn't expect to receive something in return, even if it was only a single gift. "That's wonderful, Kagome!" Mrs. Higurashi chirped optimistically, "our guest shouldn't be left out! Especially not on Christmas Eve!"