My Life Story

I couldn't resist this older man's tight hug.

"Daughter?", I whispered.

He pulled back from me but held his palms on the sides of my face, an unknown emotion pooling in his brown eyes.

"Yes, Princess Talia De Costa. You are our daughter. We", he said pointing at Angeline and himself, "are your parents, Talia. I know you must be very confused and lost. I'll...we'll explain everything, please, please take a seat", he said with sorrow lacing his tone.

I should have questioned everything they were telling me, but something in me, my intuition perhaps, told me to trust them. I quietly sat down with a small smile forming on my face.

My supposed father, King Gerard sat on my left while my supposed mother, Queen Angeline sat on my right. Gerard nodded his head towards the table in front of us. Two things were placed there. 1) Birth certificate and 2) a photograph. 

"This is your birth certificate, Talia. Have a look", Angeline whispered. My hands shivered as I took the birth cert from her. I glanced through the details and my heart skipped several beats as I skimmed through it.

Mother:  Queen Angeline Amethyst De Costa 

Father: King Gerard George De Costa II

Birthday:
 December 31st 1997

My eyebrows furrowed and a close flush overtook me as I looked at the people claiming to be my biological parents. My eyes landed on the photo on the table and there I was as a newborn baby, held by Angeline and Gerard.

I glanced at Angeline and Gerard again and pleaded them to explain what was going on.

Angeline and Gerard smiled at each other softly. 

"Sweetheart', Angeline whispered.

"You are our only child. Your father is the King of Lakewood, our family has been ruling this place for centuries. You were the first female royalty to be born directly to a King in over 300 years", she explained.

I nodded for her urgently to carry on. This time, Gerard spoke.

"When your mother told me that she was pregnant with you, I was very happy. Over the moon. We were married for 7 years before we finally conceived you, our little miracle. The birth of a new Princess after centuries, you, created excitement in our land. Our people were excited to have a new Queen rule over us finally. It was viewed as the incarnation of the Moon Goddess herselelf", he explained further.

Moon Goddess? What? I thought. Noticing my confusion at this term, he continued further.

"A few weeks after you were born, we had to face some unfortunate incidents", he said and closed his eyes shut, as if the mere memory paining him.

"You..were kidnapped on more than a few occasions. Despite tight security and vigilance, you were kidnapped a few times by some sinister, menacing people. It pained us to constantly lose our baby and worry about your future. One day, it got to a point where you were missing for a week and when we somehow found you...you...bruises were all over your small body along with a note saying you will die before your 3rd birthday."

I gasped as tears rolled down her eyes. She tried to control herself but to no avail as Gerard began to hold her shoulders and soothe her.

"Our love for you and the worry about your future prompted us to make a drastic decision. As much as it pained us, your safety was our first priority and we sent you to live with our close friend from our school days, Leah. Leah also just had a baby your age and she lived on the other side of the country, in a small and cozy town. We knew that letting you live with Leah till you were an adult was the best decision at the time...and it was. We watched you, our baby grow from afar and even though its been very hard...very very hard having missed out on your childhood...you were happy and safe, and that was all that mattered to us, Talia", Gerard whispered as tears also slowly cascaded from his chocolate eyes.

My world spinned around as I felt both of them engulf me in a tight embrace. I could feel a connection with them now and something in me once again told me that they were saying the truth. Something in me urged me to believe their words.

"Mom and dad are saying the truth. Believe them Talia" a soft feminine voice whispered in my head and I frowned at that. Where did that voice come from? Am I going crazy too? I found it hard to believe my current situation and my history, that these people in front of me are my parents, I am a damn Princess and....someone wanted to kill me? It was all too crazy for me to digest. 

I didn't realize tears were falling down my cheeks till Angeline wiped them away. 

"Why wait for 21 years? Why this long? I received the letters you sent too..", I finally answered, my voice echoing around the enormous library.

Silence ensued before Gerard spoke.  "When you turn 21 and reach full adulthood sweetie, the real you will awaken and your powers will arise", his voice boomed loudly.

"P-powers?", I asked confused.

He nodded.

"Yes, you are the Crown Princess to the Werewolf throne, Talia.", he whispered and that's when I fainted.

With werewolf being the last word I whispered before falling to the arms of darkness.

It was exactly 3 days to my 21st Birthday.