13: Quiet

A/N: double update oops sorry not sorry. Also sidebar photo bc I'm bad at descriptions

[Luke.]

I'll be honest with you guys. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. But my goal was to stop people from staring at me wherever I went in school, and well, so far so good, right?

So then why did it feel so wrong? I hated ignoring Calum, but I had no other choice. I didn't want him to be held down by me, and I certainly did not want to rise up to his level of popularity - or at least deal with all the stares.

Therefore, I was doing the only thing that applied to both those criterias: I was staying away from him as much as possible. It was definitely hard, but I seemed to be managing pretty well, if I do say so myself.

Today, I decided to not even go to lunch. Without giving anyone a warning, I rushed out of my class as the bell rang, and headed right to the back of the library. No one would find me here, unless they were really passionate about dictionaries. Who uses dictionaries anymore now that Google exists, right?

I sat down at one of the smaller tables, dropping my bag in front of me before plugging my headphones into my phone, and slipping them in my ears. I scrolled through my music, trying to find a band I felt like listening to, but the only thing I could focus on was Calum. He was wearing a red and black baseball shirt and goddammit he looked good. I made a mental note to tell him that later on. For now, I just had to stay in my corner.

I finally decided on "Something" by Escape The Fate, and as the song started playing, I leaned back in my chair slightly, closing my eyes. But only two songs later, someone tapped me on the shoulder, causing me to jump. My eyes flew open and I yanked my headphones out of my ears to see Calum standing beside my chair, a frown on his face.

"Uh, hey Calum, you sca-"

"I'm so close to singing the Ramones to you, you have no idea," he stated bluntly, sitting down next to me. "And everyone knows how much I hate the Ramones."

"I- Uh- What?" I frowned. Where the hell did he come from, and how did he know where to find me?

"I wanna be your boyfriend," he simply said with a shrug.

"But... You are..." I answered hesitantly. I had no idea where he was going with this.

"You know what?" he sighed, running a hand through his hair and it took everything in me to not pounce on him. Wait, what? Luke, focus. "From the way you're acting, it almost seems like I'm not. And to be honest with you, it hurts."

Did he actually just say that? I stared at him, opening and closing my mouth like a fish. I had no idea how to answer that. I didn't want to hurt him, that was the last thing I had intended to do. To be frank, I hadn't expected him to notice me being so distant. He's always surrounded by people, so how did he notice me missing? "I, uh... I didn't mean to."

"Really? Are you sure?" he asked, sarcasm dripping from every word. "Because last time I checked, it certainly seemed like you were doing everything you can to get away from me."

"It's not like that, Calum," I sighed. "I promise, I wasn't trying to hurt you."

"Then what were you trying to do?" he pressed on, leaning closer to me, his eyebrows raised. "Trying to stay away from me?"

I bit my lip. I wanted to deny it, but I couldn't lie to him. I looked down, deciding not to answer him.

I heard him sigh softly, and I expected him to get up and walk away from me. But when I looked up, I saw that he had simply leaned back in his chair and was looking away from me, his arms crossed.