7: Annoyance

A/N: This chapter was so hard to write, and I don't really know why. Also I'm sorry if it's a bit confusing :(

I'm sorry I always update at ungodly hours but 2am is when inspiration strikes ya feel

[Calum.]

The following Monday at school, everyone was talking about the same goddamn thing: the kiss Luke and I shared at the party. And, of course, everything that came with it: me looking like a douchebag, Ashton and Michael defending Luke, and Olivia breaking up with me. Needless to say, I wasn't exactly anyone's favourite person at the moment.

However, just as I was going to join Ashton and Michael at our usual lunch table, someone grabbed me by the arm. I turned around to see Taylor glaring at me, and I gulped before quickly regaining my composure... Or at least, wearing my confidence like a costume. "What do you want?"

"We need to talk. Now," she snapped, before dragging me out of the cafeteria and into a deserted hallway. "So, is it true?"

"Is what true?" I shrugged, not fully understanding what she was going on about.

She groaned, shaking her head. "Okay, wait. That's not really what I wanted to ask. What I wanted to ask is why did you kiss Luke?"

"Uh," I scratched the back of my neck with my free hand, the one that wasn't holding my lunch tray. "You know what, good question. I'll leave my response in your inbox."

I turned to walk away but she grabbed my arm again.

"No, you're not going anywhere until I get answers." Her eyes were filled with rage and I was legitimately scared for my life. "I need to know why you kissed him."

Even though I was scared, I was getting slightly annoyed. I yanked my arm out of her grip. "Yeah, well, this is why! To spite you!"

Her eyes widened. "No, no no no. You don't kiss someone you hate just to spite your sister."

"Yeah, well," I huffed. "Maybe I did! What's the big deal?"

"What's the- What's the big deal?!" she practically yelled. "I'll tell you what the big deal is! Calum Hood, you are a complete arsehole and a useless lamp post that likes to play with people's emotions, that's the big deal!"

"Your insults just get lamer by the minute," I scoffed.

"CALUM! Why the hell did you not apologise to Luke for that?!"

"Hey, well, your little friend kissed me back," I answered through gritted teeth. "So I don't see why I have to apologise, he clearly enjoyed it! Anyways, it's not like it's gonna happen again."

She took a deep breath in an attempt to calm herself. "Listen. Just go be a good person and apologise for using Luke."

"I don't see why I have to. I didn't hurt the kid. Plus, I doubt he's ever going to be able to kiss someone like me ever again so he should be glad he got to in the first place."

She shook her head. "Wow. When did you become such a heartless bastard? Oh, wait, right. When your ego inflated so big you can barely see past it!"

"I do no-" I started arguing, but she laughed bitterly.

"Save it, Calum. Save it, but just stay away from Luke and I, alright?"

And with that, she turned on her heels and walked away down the hall. I could't resist yelling back, "That's easy for me to do, but you've got to keep him away!"

She turned around and her eyes were wide with anger. "News flash, Calum! No one wants to be near you except your two dumbass friends who probably have defects in all their senses, especially their common sense because I know no one in their right mind would want to be friends with an insensitive prick like you."

"Whatever. Are you on your period or something?" I smirked, watching her face heat up even more.

She flipped me off, telling me to grow up before turning back and walking away.

I shook my head as I stormed back to the cafeteria. What was her problem anyways? So, I kissed her best friend. She was acting as if she was interested in kissing him, too. Which wasn't the case... Was it?

----------

[Luke.]

I was sitting in the library as an attempt to get away from the stares that had been on me all day when Taylor practically flew through the doors, earning the nastiest look from the old librarian.

"Luke, we need to talk," she whispered, pulling me up. I barely had enough time to grab my book and my bag before she ushered me out of the library doors.

I chuckled, trying to ease her tension. "Really, it can't be that bad... Unless you're dying or something. You're not dying, Taylor, are you?"

She sighed, shaking her head. "I'm not dying, Lucas. But it has to do with Calum..."

"Oh," my face fell. "What about him?"

"Well, I, uh," she sighed again, awkwardly scratching the back of her neck, not quite meeting my gaze. She was looking at something behind me fixedly, and suddenly she frowned before yelling out, "Hey, bitchtaco, there's nothing to see here!"

I turned around to see some girl scurrying away, then turned back to Taylor, an eyebrow raised. "What was that?"

"She was listening in," she frowned, still staring. Once the girl was out of sight, her gaze met mine again. "Okay, look. I know we both kinda figured that Calum kissed you for a reason, yeah?"

"Yeah," I mumbled. "What about it?"

"Well, turns out he only did it to spite me. So that's one thing you should know. Another thing I want to tell you is that... Well, I don't want him ever having anything to do with you. Ever."

"He never wants anything to do with me anyways," I frowned sadly. "Why is this any different?"

"Because of how you feel about him!" she whispered, just in case there were more people listening in. "That's how it's different!"

"I should never have told you," I muttered.

Her jaw dropped. "What? Luke, I'm glad you told me! That way I can warn you about staying away from him!"

"I know how much of a prick he is, Tay! I've been staying away for so long, I think I can do it. Now I have an even better reason to."

"Please," she was frantic. "I really need you to stay away from him because I know he's going to hurt you. And I-"

"Taylor, stop," I interrupted her, pinching the bridge of my nose. "I can take care of myself."

"I know you can but I j-"

"You don't have to look out for me as much as you do, you know? It's bloody annoying." I snapped. I had a headache and I didn't really want to argue with her, but apparently my annoyance with everyone today wanted to be taken out on her. "I can handle myself! And I think I can handle Calum, too. You're not my mom, and I'm not 6. You don't need to keep trying to protect me from everything."

She frowned, visibly confused and hurt. I watched as she stood a little straighter and readjusted her bag on her shoulder, causing the numerous pins and keychains to make clinking noises that echoed through the halls. Finally, she spoke. "Okay, then, Luke. Fine. But next time Calum kisses you then tries to frame you, don't tell me I didn't warn you."

On that note, she turned around and walked away from me. I grabbed at my hair, tugging it in frustration. What just happened?