Animals Don't Hurt Your Feelings~ Rylyn

I say a quick goodbye for the customer leaving the pet store as the bell jingles again, announcing another customer.

"Hi, welcome to Gibson Pet Supplies! (other stores are available) Can I help-" I stop in the middle of my sentence when I see who has just entered the store.

It's him. The quiet, intriguing boy who always comes to my parent's store to pet the cats.

Normally, he says a quick greeting before heading back to the cats, but today he rushes past without even a glance in my direction.

Hmmm. Something must have really upset him today. I'll check on him in a bit. Just to make sure he's okay.

I go back to my task at hand, which is ringing up customers purchases and all that good stuff.

After the other customers leave, I go into the storage room and unload some shipments for products the store was needing to have restocked.

As I'm restocking sand for litter boxes, I hear sniffling coming from the next isle over.

I peer through the shelves and see a brunette head bent over folded knees and arms clutching a small grey kitten to the chest of the boy from earlier.

Before I can process what I'm doing, I've meandered myself next to the boy and am currently sitting beside him.

"Hey." I whisper quietly, so as not to startle the crying boy. "Are you alright?"

The boy doesn't reply, except for a quiet sob as he shifts, quickly maneuvering himself into my lap, the kitten resting between our bodies.

I wrap an arm around his waist, my other hand winding through his hair in an attempt to calm him.

"Shhh, shhh. It's alright. Just let it all out. I've got you. You're okay." I whisper softly, rocking the boy gently.

He sniffles, pressing his face into my neck. "S-Sorry." He says quietly, sitting up quickly and trying to get out of my grasp.

I tighten my grip and keep him rested firmly against my chest. "Don't apologize, love. You should never apologize for needing to cry."

"I- I don't even know I'm here. I just c-came to cuddle the kittens and then this one climbed into my l-lap and-and I was already thinking to much and now.... I don't know. I just- animals are comforting to me, I guess." The boy rambles, running his fingers softly over the kitten's back, smiling as he begins to purr.

He glances up at me, blushing when he sees that I'm watching him.

I pull him back to me and hug him again. "What's you name?" I ask gently.

"R-Rye." He whispers, resting his head on my shoulder again.

"Well Rye. I'm Brook. And it's nice to finally meet you after you've been coming here all these times.

Rye smiles and says "I always cuddle the kittens when I'm sad. They give better cuddles than people."

I gasp, pretending to be offended. "How rude! How would know if they give better cuddles than people if I haven't been cuddled yet?"

He giggles and my heart melts at the soft, melodic sound. "Well, we're cuddling now and I guess you've beaten the kittens."

My hand wanders up to his hair, once again running through the soft, brown curls. He sighs at the movement and leans into my hand. "How about you go out for tea with me one day and we get to know each other better yeah? I have a feeling you  might be needing someone to talk to." I ask softly.

He nods. "That would be wonderful."

Rye spends the rest of the day at the pet store, sitting behind the counter with the small kitten snuggled into his chest.

The few times I catch him watching me as I work, he immediately blushes and looks away.

While I'm sorry Rye seems to be sad so often, I'm also glad he likes to come cuddle the kittens because if he wouldn't, I would never have had the chance to get to know him.

100 updates! Decided to post this a little early. If anyone has requests, let me know. Love to all ❤