21

"Daddy, look at me," Vivien giggled.

She twirled around in a tutu mum had bought her for her third birthday. It was a pretty pink with a big bow on the back—no matter what outfit she had on, she always managed to work the tutu in.

"Don't you look cute," I beamed.
"Can you dance with me, daddy?"
"How about you teach me your dance for your recital tomorrow."
"Okay!"

I moved the coffee table out of the way and she began teaching me the steps to her dance, as if I didn't already know them. I played along and let her be the teacher for a bit.

"Okay, now daddy."
"Yes, pumpkin?"
"I know your arm doesn't go up all the way, so you can put your hands out here." She made a circle with her hands in front of her torso and looked up to me.
"Like this?" I smiled.
"Yeah!"

She went through the next few steps before I saw Dan head for the kitchen. He grabbed his messenger bag and the thermos of coffee I made for him. He stopped in the lounge to say goodbye for the night before he went off to work.

"See ya," he sniffed. He kissed my cheek before moving over to Vivien.
"Hey, hey," I whispered. I grabbed his arm and pulled him back up.
"What?"
"You're sick."
"Am not," he fought. I rolled my eyes as I placed the back of my hand on his forehead.
"Are too. Go back to bed."
"I'm fine!" He yelled just as he went into a coughing fit. "I'll go back to bed," he whined.
"I'll call out for you, just take some NyQuil and go to bed."
"Yeah, yeah, shut it."
"Kitty?"
"Hmm?" Dan hummed.
"Can you go to my recital tomorrow..."
"I'll be there, pumpkin, don't worry."
"You sure?"
"Of course I'm sure," he coughed. "Kitty just has to take some medicine and he'll be fine."
"Okay... night Kitty..."
"Night, pumpkin." He waved before heading upstairs.
"Okay," I sighed, "so where were we?"

***

"Mmm," Dan moaned.
"Stay home from work."
"I can't."
"Yes, you can. You're sick, you're in pain... What on earth am I going to do with you?"
"Make me some tea and drive me to work."
"No," I said. "You're staying home. Rest up for the recital."
"Fine..." he sniffed. He sat up and leaned against the headboard. "Are you meeting with the lawyer today?"
"Unfortunately."
"What's even left before you go to trial?"
"We just need to make sure there are no loose ends. We can't have this guy winning any money."
"I get it," he sighed. "Kick ass today, Lester."
"I'll try." I kissed his forehead and smiled.
"What?"
"Nothing. You're just pretty."
"I'm disgusting."
"Not to me."
"Save it, you're gonna be late," he blushed.
"I love you," I said in a sing-songy voice.
"Mhmm," he chuckled.
"Say it, Lester."
"I love you too, I guess," he smirked. "Go before you're actually late."

***

"Okay, I have your bag, I have you," I mumbled as I scooped Vivien up. "Now I just need your father. Daniel!"
"I'm coming," he grumbled. "Hi, pumpkin."
"Kitty, are you sick?"
"No, I'm fine, don't worry about me. Come on, we have to go."

We drove to to theater and Dan dropped us off at the front entrance. Dan was initially supposed to be the dance dad, who was in charge of Vivien's hair, makeup, and costume. Since he's sick, I had to go down to the perfume invaded dressing room to get our girl ready.

I wasn't the best when it came to hair and makeup, so a few of the mums helped me out. It was only a matter of time before all the mum's took over for me, since I was essentially useless. When she was ready, my heart just soared as tears came to my eyes. I began smiling from ear to ear as I wiped the salty water off my face.

"Aren't you pretty." I got all choked up as I pushed my hair back. "Pose for me, pumpkin." Vivien placed her hands on her hips and smiled as big as she could.
"Hey, Phil..." I turned around to find a mum of one of Vivien's friends.
"Hi, Mollie."
"Do you want me to take a picture of you and Vivi?"

I faced her as she reached up—I grabbed onto her hands and flashed her a big smile. Mollie snapped a few pictures before handing my phone back to me.

"She looks a lot like you."
"Thanks, but um, she's all Dan actually."
"Oh wow, really?" I nodded. "Regardless, she's gorgeous, Phil."
"Thank you."
"If you want, we can finish her up and you can go get seated."
"Are you sure?"
"Positive."
"Thank you so much." I knelt down to give Vivien a tight hug and a kiss on her forehead. "Break legs, pumpkin. You're going to do great."
"Thank you, daddy," she smiled.
"I'll see you after the show."

About an hour had passed before Vivien's group made their way to the stage. Dan was incredibly drowsy from whatever illness he had, but he managed to stay awake. We both filmed Vivien's group when they were on stage—my goodness, they were all adorable. Halfway through the performance, my lawyer started calling me. I rolled my eyes and declined it—he's going to hear it for cutting off the video.

1 Voicemail from: Ethan McCormick

Once Vivien's group was done with, I gave her a standing ovation before heading into the hall. I pressed the phone up to my ear and listened intently.

"Hi, Phil, Ethan here. Sorry to bother you so late, I know your daughters recital is tonight. Anyway, the court date is finally in. We're meeting in two months—February twenty second, at noon, to be exact. Call me tomorrow with any questions. Thanks."

I silently cursed myself before leaning against the cold wall.

What the fuck did I get myself into.