7

"Are you sure you're gonna be alright today?" I asked.
"Yeah, I'll be fine," Dan groaned. "I took some DayQuil, so I should be okay."
"Alright. Do you want me to get Vivien?"
"No," he chuckled. "That's sweet, but you don't have to."
"What if I want to?" I lied.
"I know damn well you don't. Go start the car and set up my mums address into the gps. I'm gonna get Viv into her carrier."
"Okay."

***

"Today's the big day, huh?" Mrs. Howell beamed as she crawled into the backseat of my car.
"Yep," Dan smiled. "You buckled, Mum?"
"All set, sweetie."

Mrs. Howell had agreed to be the witness at our wedding so we didn't have to rope anyone else into this mess. When I pulled up to the courthouse, the palms of my hands started sweating—you'd think after doing this twice before I wouldn't be so nervous.

I got out of the car and opened up Dan's door for him while Mrs. Howell took care of Vivien. She held the carrier as Dan intertwined his hand with mine—my eyes widened as I jumped back a bit, but I eventually gave in and gently squeezed his hand.

"Your hand is really sweaty," Dan whispered.
"Yes, I'm aware."
"Let's go, boys," Mrs. Howell said as she walked in front of us.

She led us to the correct waiting room where we sat until someone told us we could meet the official. As we waited, I looked over to Dan—he was in a baby blue sweater with a white button up underneath it. His hair had just been cut for PJ's wedding, so it was rather short, which meant he didn't really have his curls, they were more like waves.

"You look very handsome," I whispered to him.
"Oh, thank you," he blushed. "You do too."

I was in a white, long sleeve button down with a blue tie, to match his sweater. My hair was getting a bit long, so I needed to use some extra gel to hold up the quiff. We were both in black jeans, his a bit tighter than mine, and had similar dress shoes on.

After about an hour and a half of waiting, it was finally our turn. When Dan stood up, I placed my hand at the small of his back and walked with him close by my side.

"Mr. Howell and Mr. Lester?" the judge said.
"That's us," Dan smiled.
"Which ones which?"
"I'm Dan and this is my fiancé Phil."
"Nice to meet you both, I'm Judge Moore and I'll be marrying the two of you today," he said. "Where's your witness?"
"That'll be my mother."
"Hi, Jackie Howell, it's nice to meet you," she waved.
"Big day, Mrs. Howell. First child getting married?"
"Yes, sir."
"Congratulations."
"Thank you very much."
"Alright, boys, let's get started."

Judge Moore went through his whole speech and eventually got to the vows. I lazily said mine and flashed Dan a weak smile. Dan rolled his eyes at me before beaming from ear to ear. He recited the vows with more enthusiasm than I've ever seen from one person—I forgot how much this crap meant to him.

"By the power vested in me, I pronounce you husband and husband. You may kiss the groom."

Dan didn't hesitate to wrap his arms around my neck and pull me in for a passionate kiss. I rested my hands on his hips and smiled—who knew I'd actually smile after getting married again.

"Can we get a picture?" Dan asked as he pulled away. He kept his arms around me as he rested his head against my chest—my left hand was still lightly grabbing his waist.
"Yes, of course," the lady said.
"Here," Dan said as he handed over his phone.

We stood together as she quickly snapped the picture. Dan gave it the thumbs up, but told her to hold onto it for one more second.

"What are you doing?" I whispered.
"I want Viv in a picture. Come here, pumpkin," he said as he got her out of the carrier.

He set her on his hip and made me put my arm over his shoulder—I flashed a forced smile before we were officially done with pictures. Dan thanked everyone one more time as he readjusted Vivien on his hip. He grabbed my hand, as Mrs. Howell grabbed the carrier, and we made our way back to the car. We drove Mrs. Howell back to her house where we told her that we'd meet up with her later tonight for dinner. She had agreed to take Vivien so 'us lovebirds can have some alone time'. I began driving back to my home, without telling Dan.

"Uh, Phil?"
"Yeah?"
"Where are we going?"
"You'll see."
"Phil, we live on the other side of town."
"You do, but I don't."

We continued driving for about twenty minutes before I parked at the front entrance to a gated community. I leaned out of the window and smiled at the security guard—he let us through, and Dan was still confused as ever. I drove up the hill and eventually pulled into my long driveway. Dan looked at everything around him and he sat there completely dumbfounded.

"Holy shit..."
"Nice, right?" I smirked. I opened the car door for him and led him up to my front door.
"How much did this cost you?"
"Don't worry about it. Come on."

We walked into the house and he just glared around as if he were Annie entering Daddy Warbuck's house for the first time.

"You like it, kitten?"
"I literally don't have words..." he whispered.
"Do you wanna move here?"
"You're joking, right?" Dan asked. I shrugged and shoved my hands into my pocket. "Of course I wanna move here!"

He jumped onto me, wrapping his arms and legs around my torso. Stunned, I was barely able to catch him and keep myself grounded.

"Would Vivien go to a private school?" he asked.
"If you want her to go to one, sure."
"You'd do that for her?"
"She's yours, and you're mine, so I don't have much of a choice, do I?" I grinned.
"Oh my god, I love you!" He pulled me into a kiss and I couldn't help but smile.

He loves me.