Epilogue

Daichi met me on the bank of the Rhine. "See that sign? The Loreley. That is where we met." His voice came out distant and cold. 

"I know," I starkly replied. We hardly spoke. We stared out at the river. The river I thought about killing myself in. 

"Why aren't you back in Japan?" I coolly asked. 

He sighed. "If I can find purpose here, they will let me go." 

"Why do they even want you as a prisoner?" 

"Because, Lori, I don't belong here. I fit no description of their perfect human being. I fit their description as the enemy. They want me to be locked away in a camp in Japan."

My teeth chattered as the air grew colder. "Do you ever miss Fafnir?" was all I could muster to ask. 

"Of course. He is home now. Annette is too. All of the creatures are home." 

"You know, we could have fought this government. This system that took over countries and then, worlds and other realms. Would have done it with me?" 

"Lori, I would have followed you through the depths of the Earth." 

I scoffed. "But you didn't. You stayed in a place that was comfortable for you. You wouldn't get out of your comfort zone. You won't riot because you want to be the one the people are rioting at."

Daichi Hayashi grabbed my hand one last time and looked me straight in the eye. "Don't give up on me," he begged. 

"I won't. As long as you don't give up on yourself, which you already have." I pushed his hand away from mine and instinctively guarded the heart locket on my chest. "Daichi, this is my life and I choose to live it the way I want to. We will go our separate ways now." 

Policemen came running towards us. They handcuffed Daichi and dragged him away.

He thrashed around and screamed out to me. "I will never forget you! I will always love you! Lori!" 

I watched as his body dragged against the pavement. He made his choice but that wasn't the last choice he had to make in his life. 

I turned away and looked up at the sun setting over the Loreley. I was alive and I was flying once more through the sky. I was not dead yet, and my life was not over. So that meant choices laid ahead for me. I was more than prepared to face them.