( 𝟎𝟎𝟗 ) the explosion

Start from the beginning

The test subject was also the man's wife, making it that more upsetting. Zoe could see in Jenner's eyes, that he was just as clueless as the rest of them on what has happened to the world, he only knew as much as he had showed them. "You have no idea what's happened, do you?" Zoe asked, after staying silent throughout the whole conversation, she just couldn't keep the question in anymore. If this scientist couldn't tell them what had happened, they couldn't fix it. The world was just.. Gone.

Jenner sighed in response, thinking of what he could answer, "It could be microbial, viral, parasitic, fungal." He listed off, but honestly having no clue as to what it could be.

"Or the wrath of God?" Jacqui asked, as she leant back on one of the stations.

"There is that." Jenner agreed, nodding his head.

"But you don't know?" Shane concluded, standing up more straight. "How can you not know?" He asked. This whole thing was stupid to him, how could a doctor not know what was happening to the world and how to fix it? Zoe looked at Shane with the wife of her eyes, noticing that every now and then, he would glance at her mother with guilt, but she had no idea why - she obviously wasn't going to ask him. She hated to admit it, but as the days went on, Shane began to scare her more and more each day.

"Everything went down." Jenner argued. "Communications, directives all of it. I've been in the dark for almost a month." He spoke.

"So it's not just here." Andrea said, shaking her head slowly at the scientists words. "There's nothing left anywhere? Nothing? That's what you're really saying, right?" She asked.

When Jenner didn't utter another word, it was clear to the rest of the group that nothing can help them anymore; everything's gone - they were doomed. "Jesus." Glenn sighed, sitting next to Zoe as panic had set in. The two leaned on each other in exhaustion - they didn't know what to do anymore, there was no answers to their questions, and they now felt useless. It was as if the world wasn't meant for them anymore.. That they were being kicked out..

"Man, I'm gonna get shit-faced drunk again." Daryl groaned, rubbing a hand over his face.

"I'm with you on that." Nate agreed, nodding along to his brothers words.

"Dr. Jenner, I know this has been taxing for you, and I hate to ask one more question. But that clock." Dale spoke, causing everyone to turn into the direction in which he pointed at. "It's counting down. What happens at zero?" He asked, knowing that he had to find out what it meant. Zoe looked up with furrowed brows, not even noticing the countdown before today, how could she have not seen a huge clock on the wall, counting down? Surely that had to mean something?

"The basement generators, they run out of fuel." Jenner informed them, before turning to walk away.

"And then?" Rick called out, but Jenner carried on walking, not giving him an answer. "Vi, what happens when the power runs out?" He asked the computer, when Jenner didn't answer him.

"When the power runs out, facility-wide decontamination will occur." She informed the group, causing them all to look around in fear at what is going to happen. They had to get out of here, and fast...

Later on in the day, while everyone was panicking about how to get out, the power had finally turned off, causing everyone to gather round in confusion; Zoe stuck with Lori and Carl, as her dad had gone off with Shane and Glenn. "What's going on?" Daryl asked, walking into the corridor where everyone else was waiting, Nate close behind him, as they rushed in. "Why is everything turned off?" He asked.

"Energy use is being prioritised." Jenner answered, taking the bottle of alcohol from Daryl.

"Air isn't a priority? And lights?" Dale asked, following being Jenner like the rest of the group.