( 𝟎𝟎𝟐 ) reunited at last

—  ZOE NEVER THOUGHT THAT THE WORLD would come to an end

— ZOE NEVER THOUGHT THAT THE WORLD would come to an end. She never imagined that there would be flesh eating monsters wandering around, making everyday a struggle to live and bringing fear to the remainder of the living. No one knew what this outbreak was, or how it started, but it was enough to make everyone fear the ones who had been unlucky enough to catch it. She never even thought that she would have to suffer through her father's death until she was at least in her 50's, but she thought wrong. She was completely wrong, and she hated it - she wished that she wasn't wrong, and she wished that life was still worth living, she wished that her father hadn't been shot on the line of duty, and she wished that he was still with her today..

It had been two months since everything went to complete shit, two months since her dad had died, two months of trying to survive with her mom, Lori, her dad's best friend, Shane, and her younger brother, Carl. Lori and Shane were obviously sleeping together, everyone in the camp knew, probably even Carl. But, Zoe didn't hate her mom for it; she just didn't exactly like the situation with her and Shane. Even though her dad was dead and he wasn't coming back, that wasn't an excuse to jump into bed with his best friend, she should know better than that. Zoe knew better than to confront the two about it, so she acted clueless just like everyone else in the camp. No matter how much it bugged her that her mom was currently with someone other than her dad. She guessed that's how a lot of people feel with divorced parents; but with her parents, she never thought the time would come.. It hurt.

"Zoe!" Carl shouted from the lake below, when he saw her, walking down the small hill and towards him and Shane, "Look what me and Shane caught!" He shouted out to her, holding up a dead frog, which he was incredibly proud of. She had to hide the disgust in her face when he waved the frog in her face, and smiled widely at him instead, knowing that he was really happy about his catch. In fact, it was the happiest that Zoe had seen him in a while..

"Nice one, buddy." Zoe chuckled at her brother, giving him a thumbs up, before turning to look over at Shane. "Mom wants you to go and see her, I'll watch over Carl." She told him.

"Thanks Zo." Shane thanked her, coming out from the lake and patting her back, before leaving back up the way that Zoe had come from, towards the camp. Zoe smiled after him, ignoring the urge to roll her eyes at what the two were about to do.. She knew better, so she hadn't said anything, but it ate her up inside at how she felt guilty about it. She knew that it wasn't anything to do with her, but she couldn't help it - she just missed her dad.

"Where's Shane going?" Carl asked, with a frown, as he watched Shane walk away from them. He was just getting started with catching the frogs, he didn't want to stop, now, and he knew for a fact that Zoe wouldn't help him..

She wrapped her arms around his shoulders at his words, hugging him, "He's just going on a hunting trip." Zoe told him, not wanting to go into more detail. "Why don't you show me what Shane taught you?" She suggested. This caused Carl to squeal out in excitement and drag Zoe towards the edge of the lake, to show her what he had learned. In response, she smiled down at her brother, missing his smile of excitement, in this day, he didn't do it often, but when he did.. She cherished it.