Chapter Eleven

Author's Note: I deeply apologize for the long wait and no the story is not over. We still have quite a lot to go and there is more danger than I'm letting on. So without further ado...

I welcome Chapter 11.

Enjoy😉

Tom stumbled down the dark and deser-ted street, following behind Harrison, not daring to look back. He was sure if he did that he would see Gerald chasing after them rather than hear him doing so. They'd been running for the past three minutes and they hadn't come across anyone in the deserted neighbor-hood as of yet.

Tom's legs felt like jelly and he was on the verge of passing out. The only thing keeping him from collapsing and doing just that was the sheer reality that he was basically running for his life. Not to mention if he did pass out, Harrison wouldn't be able to carry him and fend Gerald off if he caught up to them.

It didn't matter that he was sick. All that mattered was getting home and putting this man behind bars where he belonged and couldn't hurt him anymore. To add fuel to the fire though, it was raining and he had slipped a few times, which slowed them down.

However, when they were a short distance away from the police station, Tom's foot slid on the wet ground and he fell, landing hard on the sidewalk. The fall aggravated some of his bruises and it was just sheer luck he hadn't hit his head. Tom scrambled to get to his feet with the help of Harrison but he was grabbed abruptly by the back of his shirt and thrown to the ground. He rolled and looked up to see Gerald stalking towards him.

Tom's eyes widened and he scrambled back on his hands and feet, rainwater soaking his clothes and splashing with the movement. He watched as Harrison jumped on Gerald's back and started choking him.

Tom knew that Gerald was a lot stronger than Haz and shot to his feet to help. Surging forward, Tom punched the man in the face, with a force that sent his head snapping to the side. Of course that made him angry and he was shoved backwards. Tripping over his feet, he hit the ground and looked up in time to see Gerald smash Harrison into the wall.

Tom saw that Harrison hit his head and wasn't getting up, even as Gerald turned and stalked towards him. Terrified, he moved to get away and Gerald snarled, grabbing him roughly by the front of his shirt, yanking him to his feet like a rag doll.

Tom was slammed into the brick wall of a store and lifted so his feet were just barely scraping the ground. He was eye level with Gerald's face in this position and his heart felt like it was going to beat out of his chest.

"Let me go!" Tom yelled, struggling to get out of the man's grip.

"I have had it up to here with you and your little escape stunts!" Gerald snarled and lifted him a little more before slamming him up against the wall again, causing Tom to cry out.

"Let me go, please!" Tom sniffled as tears welled in his eyes and began to spill over.

Gerald ignored his begging and instead punched him in the stomach. Tom doubled over, gasping and crying in pain as he squeezed his eyes shut. He's hit again and he collapses, from the pain or from his illness taking a toll on him; either way he does and he's not looking forward to moving to get up.

There's a sharp pain in his right side and chest and suddenly he can't breathe. He knows a rib has been fractured and he curls in on himself, even as dark spots dance across his field of vision. It hurts and he just wants the pain to go away. He knows he's screaming and he knows that if he gets any louder, someone will hear him. And then Harrison is there but he's not alone. Two officers straight up tackle Gerald to the pavement and handcuff his hands behind his back while Harrison leans over him.

Tom can't really comprehend much except that he's numb and tired. "Haz...?"

"It's okay Tom. It's alright. We're safe now."

And Tom gratefully lets the darkness take over and engulf him.