Chapter 21: Support Systems Critical

Once aboard, they headed for the basic medical bay, and Anakin set Nakari down as carefully as he could. Then he turned to Luke.

"I know you won't be able to sleep and probably don't have an appetite, but I'll bring you something to eat." He looked pointedly at Nakari. "You'll need to keep your strength to continue helping her."

Luke collapsed into a seat next to her bed, running a hand down his face tiredly. He wasn't so sure if he'd even be able to stomach anything, though Anakin had a valid point. So he nodded, eyes riveted to Nakari as he placed his hand against her forehead once again. "Thank you, Father," he said, his voice a little on the raspy side. His touch was gentle and loving, but also fearful. He only dimly realized that he still had her blood all over him, but he didn't have the strength to do much about it, and he didn't think he had the heart yet, either. He was still rather numb from everything that had just happened, and with Nakari in a delicate balance between life and death, the blood smeared along his hands and arms, as well as his face and shirt, was the last thing on his mind.

Anakin made his way to the galley and whipped up the first meal he could find, also grabbing a bottle of water and then making his way back to the med bay.

On his way back, Derlin appeared in his path. "We're getting ready to take off. I'm sorry, but we have to help Drusil secure passage off-world before we can return to the fleet, but we will move as swiftly as we can."

Anakin nodded. "We understand."

He continued to the medical bay and paused at the sight of his son in such a state as he was now.

Anakin closed his eyes for a moment, then silently entered and set the tray of food down on a chair. He placed a hand on Luke's shoulder from behind and stood in silent support, knowing that a petty I'm sorry would be a pointless use of air.

Luke didn't even jump from his father placing a hand on his shoulder, though he hadn't been expecting the motion. When he registered that it was Anakin, he absentmindedly covered Anakin's hand with his own, grateful for the support as a few stray tears leaked past his defenses, his raging emotions over everything still waging within. As much as he would normally hate to admit it, he was still very unstable, but in his opinion it was understandably so.

Anakin stood by Luke until he felt the ship shudder. He broke free and stepped up to the bunk.

"Luke, we need to strap her in for the flight," he said softly. "And I know this isn't what you want to hear, but after we leave you're going to eat. I'll help you keep hold of Nakari."

Luke blinked like he was coming out of a daze, shifting uncomfortably but reaching over to help strap her in. "I don't think I can stomach anything right now," Luke told Anakin honestly. The ship shuddered again, and Luke realized grimly that he needed to move away from Nakari's side to strap in as well, at least until the ship made its jump.

Anakin settled in too while the ship moved, they waited for Drusil, and then the ship steadily climbed for the atmosphere. It wasn't too much longer until the tell-tale pull of the ship announced their jump to lightspeed. Anakin unstrapped promptly and held out a piece of food to Luke. "I know you don't think you can eat, but please try."

Luke's stomach roiled in protest, but he still took the piece of fruit Anakin held out to Luke. He took a small bite, swallowing with far too much difficulty as he gazed at Nakari. Part of him wanted to start opening up, but there was just so much churning inside of him, he wasn't even sure where to start: and he still felt a little cold from his brush with...

Luke paused, setting down the fruit as his stomach twisted dangerously, the fruit bitter in his mouth as he came to terms with the fact that he'd tapped into the dark side today. He hadn't used it, but he had certainly let it in, had felt and reached for it in his anger. His dream back at the hotel came back to him, and whatever appetite Luke might have had vanished.