Chapter 15: A Startling Feeling

The trio of humans met in the morning at Anakin's door and headed back to the restaurant to meet Sakhet. They chose to leave Artoo behind, and it was a good thing too, because the speeder Sakhet directed them into only had room for the four. Sakhet explained that they were using food delivery to hide their actual activity.

She gave them all the information she could on the Givin woman and her habits. She also told them of Drusil's guards and their habits.

After their delivery, Sakhet turned to Luke. "Are you the one who helped the Kupohan ship your first trip here?"

Luke nodded. "Yes." She handed him a datachip, and Luke frowned. "What's this?"

"A list if emergency contacts for you to utilize if the need arises," Sakhet replied. "It's a thank you. My son was on that ship, and if you hadn't intervened, he wouldn't be alive today. Please, keep that list safe, and destroy it once you no longer need it."

"We will," Luke promised. "And thank you."

Sakhet nodded and they left the speeder together with her well-wishes and a farewell.

*********************************************************************************

Anakin perused the stalls of various merchandise, keeping himself inconspicuous as he studied the area, especially the two guards standing at either end of the walkway with weapons clearly visible.

He stopped at a trinket cart, picking up a shiny object and turning it just so as if he was inspecting it. In reality he used it to get a better, less obvious read on the guards. They seemed bored by outward appearances, but Anakin knew they were completely alert. And indeed, anyone who veered too close to their side of things was watched like a bird of prey eyeing a potential meal. Anakin also noticed how not very many people were standing on the park-side of the walkway.

Anakin set the trinket down and moved to a food stall, where he purchased a snack. Strolling in a casual manner, Anakin wandered the walkway until he came to the wall where he could view the park. He spied Luke and Nakari on their chosen bench: the pair was to be in the park while Anakin checked things out from the upper avenue. He also saw what could have been Drusil's detail. Anakin leaned against the wall, popping food into his mouth lackadaisically every few seconds. His eyes didn't stay still, though, and he felt more than saw one guard approach him.

"You can't be here: this side of the pedway is restricted right now. Move along," he said gruffly.

"Oh." Anakin allowed a blush to touch his cheeks, and he nodded penitently. "I'm sorry, I didn't realize."

He removed himself from the restricted side and felt the two guards' eyes follow him the entire way until he was no longer a threat of any form. Anakin maintained his outer calm and casual demeanor until he had arrived at the café he Luke and Nakari had selected as a rendezvous point.

******************************************************************************

Luke and Nakari, appearances altered by facial putty and their costumes, had to avoid talking about anything outside of their cover so close were they to where the Givin woman was. Luke took note of every guard he could spot—six living and one security drone—and studied the Givin as inconspicuously as possible to commit her to memory. She seemed to be in a state of meditation, sitting complacently across from a pair of kids playing with a ball.

When said ball came too close to Drusil Bephorin—the Givin—the security droid darted forward and blew the ball into bits. Luke's lips thinned instinctively when he saw it, hearing the children wail in terror with broken hearts. The peace of the park officially shattered and people started to leave, Drusil yelling at her security for scaring the children so.