Chapter 15 part 2

“What in the hell are you doing here? Don't you understand what it means to be barred?”

I didn't reply, just kept walking towards her, focussing my sight on the air surrounding her body. Concentrating, I willed my eyes to see the coloured aura that enveloped her. At the bar I hopped onto one of the tall stools and spread my hands wide across its surface, steadying myself as I tried to use my powers in a way quite untried and untested by me before. I wasn't really sure how well this was going to work out, but it had to be worth a try.

Frances took no notice of my lack of response, and didn't seem phased by my continued approach; as confident and haughty as ever she just stared me down, nose wrinkled in distaste.

“I suppose I should have expected you to come sniffing back around here, as soon as Alan said he'd seen you outside I just knew you'd be back again like a bad smell.” She leaned closer to me across the bar, not at all intimidated by my presence – or so it seemed, something about the way she held her voice to steady her movements precise and calculated spoke of a forced calm exterior that might so easily be shattered. “Let us get one thing straight, Heather, you will never be welcome back here, not after what you pulled with one of our best customers. So if it's a job you're looking for, you're out of luck.”

I almost had to laugh at those words. Frank? One of their best customers? That was a joke to be sure. One of their biggest spenders perhaps, but he certainly hadn't been what you'd call a model punter, and everybody knew there had been something off about him. I couldn't help but feel that the pub would be a much more relaxed and pleasant environment without him lurking in the corners exuding those demonic vibes that no one could ever quite put their finger on. But I made no mention of him, if she really considered him one of her best customers it was probably best not to disappoint her too much but letting her know he'd never be coming back.

“I'm not looking for a job, Frances. Although I can't deny that I came here looking for money.”

My voice was low and steady as I tried to concentrate on talking at the same time as I tried to feel out her aura; this little effort of mine was certainly proving that multitasking was not always easy for a woman. I'd never tried to use my powers whilst holding a conversation before, and it was immensely distracting. Eventually I managed to see a ghost of the muddy green colour of the energy that surrounded her, but I still couldn't feel it. I couldn't reach out and feel the pulse of her life-force letting it lead me to the gateways that would give me access to her mind, not while she stared at me in disgust and loathing.

“Why on Earth would you come here looking for money? I paid you everything you were owed.”

“Oh, I know. But it wasn't enough, so I'm going to need you to give me some more.”

“You really are insane aren't you.” Frances dropped the towel she had resumed obsessively wiping a single spot on the bar with and threw up her hands in dismay. “Why the hell would I ever give you more money?”

I leant forwards, catching her eyes as I searched for my way inside. I'd managed to focus more on the muddy green of her energy, drew it into sharper focus until it was all encompassing, surrounding her entire form so that her features were concealed behind a translucent film of energy. Frank, well The Whisperer that had possessed him, had used eye contact while we were at the prison to work his hypnosis while he was still in that human body. It might not have been especially effective while he was hindered by the meat suit he wore, but the eyes had served as a gateway, perhaps they could be a way in for my own power of influence. Had to be worth a try, right?

“Oh, I'm sure I can find some way to convince you.”

The Chakra's – most specifically the Crown or the Third Eye Chakra – were my usual way in to a targets psyche, but while Frances remained conscious and engaged with my physical presence they remained closed to me. Her eyes, however, were wide open and beseeching. As hard an act as she liked to put on I could see now that it was all a front. Something under the surface was afraid. Afraid of what I wanted, of what I might do to her, and though she'd never say it out loud she was questioning, seeking unspoken answers, and it was that I latched on to and managed to find my way inside.