Chapter 43 | Mom

'I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know'

(@ρ@)

A c e

"Are you sure you want to do this now?" I ask Ray as I speed down the road back to the hotel now that I'm sure most Antonio's guys are gone.

She doesn't answer. Instead, she folds her arms on her lap and stares out the window lost in thought. I sigh and turn the radio up, driving through the dark sky on the deserted street.

"We're here," I say, waking Ray up.

"Five more minutes," she says, which is an unusual thing since she is usually the liveliest person.

"Well, do you want to stay at the hotel?" I ask, thinking it'll be more comfortable to sleep on a bed.

"I just want to be left alone for five more minutes," she says which once again surprises me.

"That's fine," I say as I put the car in park and let my head rest for a bit.

"Alright let's go," after ten minutes have passed, Ray is still just as tired so I decide to get our hotel room back.

"No it's fine, I'm awake," she says with her eyes closed.

"Clearly," I roll my eyes.

"Just give me a second," so I wait for a few moments as she slowly wakes up from her nap.

Usually this behavior would be normal for any other person since it is three in the morning and we've only slept for a couple of hours, but Ray is known for her all-nighters and energetic personality.

"Are you sure you don't want to wait until later to meet up with him?" I refer to her father.

"No, I can slowly feel the adrenaline rush back in me. I'm good to go," she gives. a tight smile and I decide to not question it.

On the way in, she goes to grab a cup of coffee while I try to get the same room we had before leaving. Once all the ordeals are in place, we head up to our room.

As we're walking towards the room, I catch a glimpse of a shadow in the hallway but I blamed it on sleep deprivation and nothing serious.

"Are you sure he was here?" Ray asks, feeling disappointed we haven't seen him yet.

"He sure was here," I shrug.

"Well he's not here though," she groans in frustration. Her sudden mood swings can only be explained by the reason her period is starting soon, which means I have to keep calm when speaking to her.

"How about we go walk around then? This hotel is huge and maybe we'll see him?" I watch as she perks up slightly, making it look like she's giving it thought.

"If you insist," she smiles.

As we're walking around, Ray starts asking me about my relationship with my dad.

"I mean, I admire his patience when dealing with my mom," I joke. "He's old school, but he parents well."

"That's a boring answer," she teases.