Chapter 20 | Oh

'Remember the words you told me
Love me till the day I die
Surrender my everything cause
You made me believe you're mine'

('◉⌓◉')

A week ago when Ace left the hospital room, I kept trying to figure out a way to pay with the doctor. I mean, a check up alone would cause me to sell a kidney. What is up with America?

So when I got the okay to leave the hospital, I picked a few extra shifts at the clinic and reduced the amount of money I spend on anything.

Other than that, Ace has been acting weird ever since I forgave him. Almost extra tense around me, which is an unusual thing. But I'm also the person that never had a relationship or even read about it until a few months ago.

"Hey, I'm going with Blake to hang around. I'll probably be late so don't wait up," Ace comes in fully dressed while I'm scrolling through his phone and pecks my lips before zooming out.

"Ace?" I yell, and I hear footsteps stop. He peeks inside the room only showing his head.

"Your phone?" I offer with a raised brow.

"Right," he takes it and once again, zooms out.

I sigh and decide to get dressed. I decided that jeans and a very big hoodie from Ace's stuff would be fine.

It was snowing so I put on a few extra layers and started walking to the bus station. It's still pretty early in the morning so no one was around. I sighed and prepared myself for a long day of work.

A few hours later, as I'm updating some charts on my patients, I hear a clatter in the front area and a familiar voice. I check to see Blake being dragged around by Ace that seems frustrated.

"What happened?" I quickly run up to them and inspect Ace first, terrified anything bad happened to him.

"This idiot thought flipping in the air with a motorcycle was smart," he says lowly.

"Dude, it was worth it," Blake winces, saying the sentence breathlessly.

"How about we get you into a room?" I offer, trying not to laugh.

When I set Blake up and send one of the actual doctors in, i sit next to Ace that seemed to just want to go home.

"Sorry to spring this on you," he says, with his face in his hands.

"It's okay, I needed a good laugh. You and Blake seem to be getting closer though," I wiggle my eyebrows.

"He's a light-hearted person. Fun to be around I guess," he shrugs. "I did tell him it was a bad idea, but he wanted to get my mind off things."

I was going to ask him what he meant by that, but the girl I sent in came out with a flustered face so I decide to just go in myself.

"Alright Blake, what do we got?" I check his vitals.

"King is an okay person," he blurts out.

"And you are on drugs," I whisper. Medical drugs, apparently he was complaining about the pain too much.

"But it's as if he's too scared to have friends or a girlfriend," he continues rambling.

"Of course Blake, you seem to have some broken bones which I think the doctor told you, but you're high so I'll repeat everything later," I cross my arms.

As I'm telling him that, Ace enters with an irritated look as always. "Are we done here? The nurses are desperate for attention here."

When he says that, a flow of jealousy spikes in me but I dismiss it.

"Yes, he'll just have to stay here over-"

"I wanna go home!" Blake whines.

"Look Blake, there's no way you can get discharged so soon," I cross my arms, finalizing the conversation.

Right now we're in the car, and Blake in the backseat talking about ending up all alone.

"I thought you said there would be no way to discharge him?" Ace sighs.

"Listen, it's not my fault he has a baby face that you can't say no to," i throw my hands in defeat.

"Dude! What's up with every celebrity getting engaged these days?" Blake exclaims.

"How does he even know about these things?" I whisper to Ace.

"Just because we're a gang, doesn't mean we don't get bored," Ace shrugs.

"I mean, they're all in relationships, and I'm just a single Pringle. Although I always preferred lays," he proceeds to annoy every single cell in Ace.

We arrive to what seemed to be the gang's house, and a few guys come out to take Blake to his room after saying hello to me.

I thought Ace was finally not tense after this experience, but the car ride was very quite. It wasn't that far from home so I just didn't question it.

Entering the mansion, I set the keys down and flip onto the couch with Ace following.

"Okay, enough is enough. Did I do something wrong?" I snap after watching Ace fiddle with his hair.

"Pardon?" He says startled.

"Did you finally see that I am filled with problems? That my shoulder is taking forever to heal because of my crappy genes? Did you see me at my weakest and decide that I can't recover from that incident? Because I don't get you anymore!" I yell.

"Ray-"

"No no, it's fine. But I am a good person! I'm not a broken toy that can't provide anything to this relationship. However, if you just shut me out then I can't figure out what I did wrong!" I yell some more, but now in front of his face.

"I get it! I-I do! There are so many beautiful girls you can pick from that have flawless skin instead of scar-filled skin. They're taller, and more elegant. But if you want to break it off, do it already because I can-" when I look up from yelling at the floor, I see that he moved closer to me.

"You can't just give me your soft eyes and not talk to me. It doesn't wor-"

"I love you," he whispers.

To say I was speechless would be the biggest understatement. I try to come up with a response that's equally as strong even with a whisper. The millions of thoughts going through my mind and my racing heart making it hard to think straight, so instead of providing a strong comeback, I say,

"Oh."