I recognised the voice immediately. “Nea? Shit, were you asleep? Sorry. I’ll let you sleep.”

            “I’m awake now,” I said. “I want to talk.” And that is how I ended up going to sleep at 2am even though I had a huge competition the next morning.

            “My anaconda don’t, my anaconda don’t, my anaconda don’t want none unless you got buns, hun,” my alarm went off, waking me up. It was 6am and I couldn’t sleep in or else I’d be late for the competition, so groaning I rolled out of bed and went for a shower. The shower woke me up and then I walked into my room and started straightening my hair.

            I felt like I was going to throw up because of the nerves. I had never been to a competition like this one. After I had straightened my hair, I started doing my make-up. A Smokey eye finished off with some red lipstick. Elliot came and picked me up soon after I had gotten dressed.

            “You look so good, that’s a new look!” She winked. I was wearing a pair of black knee high socks, doc martens and booty shorts. I was wearing a white crop top and around my waist I had tied a plaid jacket around my waist.

            “I didn’t know what to wear,” I groaned, staring down at my outfit and wondering if I should change.

            “I like it, now come on we need to go and get everything set up.” My Mum hardly ever came to my competitions so she wouldn’t be coming to this one. Sometimes Matthew came to some of my competitions but he wen to one of his friend’s holiday houses for a couple of days so he wasn’t even home.

Holy was in the car and wore a smirk on her face. “You look hot.”

            I laughed. “Yeah, I know,” I replied, sarcastically.

            “You all ready for today?”

            “I feel so sick. I’m nervous.”

            “It’ll be fine, no worries.” We got to the competition and I got a number that I pinned to the back of my top. With Elliot I went backstage and we went to the room I was allocated. In it, there were another four girls.

            “What if I fuck up? Or what if I freeze up?”

            Elliot just laughs. “You ask me those questions every single time you have a competition and you always do great. These girls have nothing on you. Plus, your man’s going to be here so you have to dance to impress.” I blushed when she said that and then my thoughts traveled to Jason.

***

When my name was called to go on stage, I felt like running outside and not performing. To get through to the next round, where I’d have a dance battle with a bunch of other girls I had to perform in front of 4 judges.

            Yoncé by Beyoncé started playing and I started dancing. “See me in the club with 50 of them girls. Posted in the back, diamond fangs in my grill. Brooklyn brim with my eyes sitting low. Every boy in here with me got that smoke, every girl in here got to look me up and down.” Feeling Myself by will.i.am then started playing and I started moving faster. “I be everywhere, everybody know me. Super, super fresh, what a dope styling. Hunny on my wrist, couple karats on my neck.” I never usually danced like this, it took me a while to learn it and I was still unsure.