16. red velvet & sisters

Start from the beginning

He sighed and put his phone in his pocket, an apologetic look in his eyes, "I'm sorry. I- I have to go pick my sister."

"That's fine. I could come with you," I told him.

"If you don't mind?" He looked at me and I shook my head, "I don't."

The ride to wherever River was going to pick his sister up from was silent. I wished I knew what was running through his mind exactly.

"So, how old is your sister?" I asked, breaking the silence.

"Ten going on eleven," he answered, running his tongue over his lower lip in a swift motion.

"Hmm nice," I nodded slowly.

River remained quiet, and then, I started to wonder. Who was always calling him and why would his mood change? Where was he even going to pick his sister from?

My question was shortly, when he pulled up to a large house with a beautiful surrounding.

"I'll be right back out," he said to me, and I nodded, watching him make his way to the floor step of the house. About three minutes later, he came out with a girl.

It was the same girl I'd seen with red, fluffy eyes in Salt and Straw. I sat up in the seat immediately, my eyes on her. She was shrugging her shoulders and River took her hand, saying something to her. He opened the back door for her and waited for her to get in.

I immediately looked back at her, a smile on my face. She had a small face and pretty brown eyes. Her black hair was tied up in a bun on top of her head and her lips were puckered up. She had the most innocent look on her face that made my heart reach out to her.

"Hi, my name's Renee," I gave her a wave, "What's yours?"

She didn't say anything. She only blinked twice, looking back at me before looking away.

By this time, River was in the car. He threw a glance at his sister, then turned back to start the car.

After a while, River said quietly, "I'm sorry about that."

I looked back and saw his sister was asleep, so I nodded, "It's fine. Is she okay?"

I saw him swallow and then nod, "She's fine."

Of course I don't believe him but I didn't want to push either so I nodded as well.

"Her name's Riley."

"That's a cute name," I smiled lightly at him.

"Well, that's a first. Usually, people assume my siblings are sea or water or stuff like that," he said in fake exasperation while I chuckled.

By the time he pulled up to my house, it was evening, and Tanner's car wasn't in the driveway so I knew he wasn't  home.

"Thank you so much for coming with me today," River said.

"No, thank you for taking me there and showing me all those wonderful paintings. I loved them all," and then unexpectedly, we both said at the same time, "I had so much fun."

We chuckled and then ran quiet.

"So, uh, I'll see you Monday?" I finally said and he nodded, looking at me, "Monday."

I smiled at him and gave him a small wave, opening the door and was about to get down.

"Wait," I heard him say.

I looked back at him, and for what seemed like the fourth time today, he swallowed and finally said, "Uh, thanks for coming with me today."

I chuckled, "You already said that, dork."

He smiled lightly and I got down from the car, closing the door, waving again.

As I walked to the front door, I couldn't help but wonder what River had wanted to say when he told me to wait. I smiled to myself and opened the door, wondering if Kaleb was still home, but something told me he was still in because he would have texted me if he wasn't.

I took one step and a figure jumped in front of me, causing me to scream.

I looked to see Kaleb laughing maniacally and I punched his shoulder, "Kaleb! That wasn't funny!"

"Oh, yes it was," he nodded, still laughing. His laughter was so contagious, I joined him.

*****

Immediately River walked into the bakery, he came to where I stood behind the counter.

"Someone's late today," I teased.

"I was going to nap for an hour, I swear," he chuckled. "I overslept and—"

"And here you are," I laughed.

He let out a breath, "Here I am. Can I get the ususal?"

"Of course," I nodded and moved to grab a cup, "I'm surprised. You've never actually walked to the counter to request for something."

He smiled awkwardly, raking his fingers through his hair, "Well, yeah..."

I started fixing his smoothie when he said, "I don't mean to bother you, but can I get another cup of smoothie, and uh, two red velvet brownies?"

I raised my eyebrow up at him, filling another cup with the four berry blend smoothie and grabbing two bags of red velvet brownies, placing them in the counter, "All four? River do you really love these this much?"

He chuckled and slid the money on the counter, only taking a smoothie and a red velvet brownie, "No. I mean, I do love them, but the other one's for you," he winked before walking away, leaving me standing in awe as my feelings for him tripled.

A/N: Don't forget to vote, comment and follow me!