9 // lydia stares at glass

After school Liam, Scott, Lydia, and I all ride together to Scott's work in an animal clinic. The vet's name was Dr. Deaton. He was currently examining a piece of glass while I examined my flannel. Suddenly, I felt something hard in the jacket pocket. I scrunched my eyebrows and pulled out a square cellphone. I looked around at my friends but none of them were paying any attention to me and I didn't pay attention to what Deaton said. I turned on the phone and gasped it was a family photo of my mom, my dad, and me as a baby. My dad's arm looked as if it was wrapped around someone's shoulders but there was nobody there. I looked through the apps then clicked on his calls. The most recent call had went to Scott then on the same date that I'd found out about the supernatural was a call to Liam. I tapped Liam's shoulder and showed him the phone.

"It was in my jacket pocket." I reply and Liam takes the phone from me and looked through the gallery then the text messages. It was all blank. Except for one photo in the gallery, it was a photo of me about two days ago when I had arrived. Except, I didn't remember taking that photo. Suddenly I heard the scratching of a pen and looked behind Liam at Lydia who SAS staring intensely into a piece of glass while scribbling fast on a piece of paper.

"Is that normal?" I ask and Liam turns around just as Scott and Deaton rush to stop Lydia. Lydia stops and just stares blankly at the table. Liam looks at a single word on the paper that had been written over and over.

"Mischief?" Liam repeated and I looked over his shoulder.... I say five letters instead of mischief. "S-T-I-L-E-S"

Lydia suddenly came out of whatever state she had been in. "What the hell is a Stiles?"

***

Later that night Lydia, Malia, and I had planned to have a well deserved girl time since they were the only female friends I had they invited me to hang out with them but Lydia had received a call from Scott on our way to Lydia's house telling us to meet him at the forest.

"You smell different than usual." Malia turns around to face me.

"I've got alot on my mind." I mumble sheepishly. I find a sudden interest in my shoes, I felt Malia still staring at me.

"You can tell me. I'll keep a secret." Malia says, I look up at her then at Lydia. Malia gave me an encouraging grin. I felt glad that she would help me cheer up, but I kept quiet.

"If I tell you a secret will you tell me yours?" Malia asks and I slowly nod.

"I had sex with a guy the other night and he's ignoring me now. He said it was strange for me to be the big spoon." Malia says in all seriousness but I couldn't help but giggle.

"That sucks." I say while still giggling.

Malia smiles. "Now tell me why you smell strange."

Malia and Lydia were the first people I told about what Liam told me about the supernatural. I asked them to make sure he wasn't screwing with me, so naturally Malia felt comfortable telling me how I smelt.

"I...may have discovered a crush that I have, but he has a girlfriend...or at least I think he does." I say quietly. Suddenly I see Lydia pipe up and look at me through the rearview mirror.

"Who is it?" Lydia asks. I knew they were my friends but it was still difficult to share my secret feelings that only my diary has had the pleasure to hear about. I decided that it would make me feel better if I let them help me... Hopefully.

"It...It's Liam." I say slowly and cautiously. I looked over at Malia to try and read her reaction but she seemed unnaturally calm. Lydia on the other hand was smiling so wide that I was afraid her mouth may get stuck like that. "What?" I ask her.

"It's just I heard from a little birdy that Liam and Hayden broke up about two days ago because he said that he was catching feelings for someone else." Lydia says. I had mixed emotions from that. Is that why Hayden hated me? Who was this mystery girl that Liam had fallen for?

"That's...unsettling." I mumble quietly.

"What? The boy you like is single! Isn't that exciting?" Malia asks, shaking my arm playfully.

"He's single because he has a crush on someone else. A mystery girl - or boy - that I have no idea who is." I say, fiddling with my fingers. Malia grabbed my hand to stop them from shaking.

"How do you know that you're not the mystery girl?" Lydia asks, I could still see her grinning... I hadn't even thought about that possibility.