eleven

caleb

"What were you thinking?" I scolded her. Without giving her time to answer, I continued. "Kara, you are not Supergirl! This isn't Earth. This is Krypton, this is Argo. Things are different here. The economic system sucks, I of all people know that, but people don't give a damn! You can't expect them to suddenly start caring for a criminal just because of some speech!

"Look, I know you think what we're doing here isn't enough. But it's what keeps the planet safe from thieves and robbers running around. We're doing the best we can. You can't disrupt tradition, Kara. Just—" I took a deep breath to calm myself down.

"Figure out what the hell is going on with you, and until then you won't be assigned any new cases." I stalked off.

mon-el

The love of my life was being threatened, and I couldn't even get to her. I felt so immensely helpless.

After what seemed like an eternity, the crowd cleared. The man who pulled Kara had gone, and Kara herself was on the other side, in tears. In a haste to rush over her, I knocked over a few chairs.

I held her as soon as I got to her. Just in time, too, because she crumpled in my arms the next second.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt? Did he do anything to you? I swear, if he—" I broke off. Kara was looking a little faint. After helping her to the nearest chair, I knelt in front of her and tucked a golden lock of hair behind her ear gently.

"Hey, remember what I said. Breathe, okay?"

She nodded.

"Are you sure you really want to keep doing this?" I asked and took her hand.

"I want to help this planet. Maybe not like this, but... I don't see how else. I don't have a choice," she sounded so hopeless, distant.

"Where's the Kara I know?" I frowned. "Where's the brilliant, fiery spirit of hers, one that'll never give in no matter what? What happened to her?

"We always have a choice, Kara, you were the one who taught me that. You changed me for the better, convinced me that I had an alternate option other than being that good-for-nothing Daxamite Prince. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't even be here right now."

"That's not true. You were the one who was willing to change."

"Exactly. You have to be the one to choose for yourself. It's your choice, babe." I sat beside her.

"I don't know..." she shook her head. "I mean, I don't know. My mother did this for a living. It's where the money I was raised with came from. And I feel like, if I do this right, then I'll have one more shred of her to cling on to."

Somewhere in the middle of her speaking, she had ended up in my lap. She wrapped her arms around my neck and buried her face into the crook of my neck and shoulder. I didn't know how long we just sat there holding each other. All I know is that we both felt safe and secure in that stolen moment.