FOUR ━ GLORIOUSLY BURNT

Start from the beginning

The clock on the wall caught Kira's brown eyes, and she remembered that they had to leave for school soon or else they would be late. None of them really wanted to go considering the circumstances, but their attendance record already wasn't well because of supernatural drama, so they had to go any day they could. All of them would have to get through seven hours of teachers, assignments, and lessons before they could focus on their most important issue. Maybe by then they could figure out what step to take, or if they could take any at all.

AVERY DIDN'T KNOW HOW she did it, but she managed to make it through all of her classes without falling asleep. Although, she didn't necessarily pay attention much — there were too many things on her mind for her brain to absorb more information. There seemed to be an invisible pressure on her to figure things out, to find out ways to make the situation her and her friends were in better, though in the end, that couldn't be done. She didn't know what to do.

And that frustrated her beyond belief. The brunette felt like no matter what, she would always be left unaware, too oblivious to understand something that may be a factor in saving lives. There wasn't some magical force pointing her in the right direction, there wasn't unknown supernatural abilities secretly hidden within her, there was just her human body and brain. She couldn't do the things the rest of them could do, and that has never bothered her before, but with Stiles gone... she felt utterly helpless and inferior.

The restless girl sighed for what seemed like the hundredth time today, fumbling with her locker combination until she was able to open it up, textbooks being placed inside the small storage area. In all honestly, she just wanted to get the things she needed and meet Lydia and Allison out in the parking lot; the girls would be giving her a ride home after the small pack meeting at Scott's. The sooner she left the school building, the sooner they could all talk about how to find the possessed teenage boy that is skilled at covering his tracks.

"Hey, you weren't in school yesterday. Is everything okay with you?" A voice suddenly spoke up from beside her, making her jump at the unexpected noise, head turning to look at the person who had greeted her.

Avery let out a breath of relief as she comprehend it was just Teddy, his bright, oceanic eyes and tan skin coming into view. He had a cute, small smile on his young face, radiating comfort and concern for her. The boy already had on his sport clothes, a blue tank top and gym shorts, which meant he was already prepared for one of Coach's little practice sessions to keep the boys in shape before lacrosse season started up again. The field where they were supposed to meet was on the other side of the school, so it was clear he had only came this way to check on her.

"I'm okay. I just wasn't feeling well, that's all." Avery explained, thankful that her mauve sweater covered up the bandage wrapped around her arm. She didn't need him asking questions she couldn't answer.

"Oh. So you're feeling better today, then?"

"Yeah, definitely," She said, gently closing up her locker door and seeing from the corner of her eye how he nervously ran a hand through his light brown hair, "Thanks for asking though. It's very thoughtful of you to check up on me."

His grin widened at her words, his eyes lighting up looking at her, clearly crushing on the overwhelmed girl. "Of course. Anytime. You know, that I... am always around... for you. I mean — I'm always here if you need me. For anything."

The stumbled response awkwardly and adorably coming out of his mouth made her laugh a little, because at the end of the day, whether her life was complicated or not, he was a sweet kid that had never stopped being a good friend to her. He had casually asked her out before a few times, but she would always make up some excuse or do a rain check. There had always been a supernatural dilemma happening, and she didn't want anyone, an innocent person unaware of the supernatural to get involved or hurt. Then again, there probably would always be trouble going on; even more now with... him.