THREE ━ THE RISE OF A FLAME

Start from the beginning

Avery looked rather peaceful to him when he reached her, her eyelids calmly closed and her mouth parted while her lungs helped her breath evenly. Before Void could stop himself, he reached over to brush some of her disheveled hair out of face, letting his thumb stroke her flushed cheek. The contact made him forget about everything else, all of his plans, the McCall pack — just every priority that took up his mind. It was as if the girl pulled him to somewhere different where nothing else mattered except the two of them, and this... fire that would surely burn them from the inside out if they weren't careful.

The brunette stirred, leaning into his touch instinctively while she faded out of sleep, a small whine exiting her from comprehending the stiffness of her body. She opened her eyes unhurriedly, her mind a little hazy from just waking up, but once she noticed the pale teenage boy hovering over her, the human quickly got ahold of herself. Blinking hastily, she shoved his hand off of her and sat up, her eyes narrowing at the sight of the demonic spirit possessing her friend.

"Don't touch me." Avery growled, even slipping off the other side of the chair so there would be distance between them; she didn't want to be near him.

"I was just waking you up," He partly lied, scoffing at her jumpy reaction, "Unless you don't want me to take you home. You can always walk all the way back to town I guess."

His words made her glance at the only entrance to this room, seeing the door now wide open and a set of stairs leading to the upper level of the building. "I don't need a ride home, especially not from you."

The girl suddenly filled with adrenaline didn't wait for a response or reaction from him, because she decided to take her chance and dart towards the exit. He couldn't help but roll his brown eyes at her impatiently sprinting past him and trudging up the steps, the sound of her opening up another door finding his ears. Void sighed, slowly following the direction she had went.

The sight of a long hallway greeted her when she finally made it to the main level, her chest starting to heave as she continued on running. The light bulbs hanging from the ceiling didn't provide much light, but it was enough to help her see and not trip over the occasional piece of furniture that was messily left on the floor. Wherever she was, the place was clearly abandoned.

After turning a corner, Avery spotted what appeared to be the door that would lead her outside, so she picked up her already fast speed, desperate to get the hell out of this eerie building. She was also afraid that somehow this was another part of his game and that he'd jump out anytime, stopping her right before she got her freedom. That's the kind of thing she believed Void would do, and to be honest, it was, but that wasn't the case this time. Not with her involved.

That was proven true when the brunette stumbled through the double doors, the cold air hitting her skin harshly yet liberatingly, and she almost smiled in satisfaction. Although, her newfound happiness was gone as soon as it came, because Avery took in the darkness that lurked around her, the numerous trees that practically caged her in, and the fact that she was many miles away from the main part of town. It would take her hours to get back home by foot.

Out of the corner of her eye, the human spotted the powder blue Jeep, so she headed towards that next with the hope that it was unlocked. Her feet protested the journey due to the fact they were prodded by jagged rocks from the gravel she was walking across, none of them actually breaking the tough skin, but it was still uncomfortable nonetheless. She didn't care about that minor detail at all though, especially when she grasped the door handle on the driver's side and it opened right up.

Her heart began to beat in triumph before sinking at the sight of no keys in the ignition or hidden in the glove department. Of course they weren't there, he wasn't that naive to leave them behind when it was the only sufficient transportation nearby. Avery breathed out heavily, her gray eyes appearing utterly lost. She didn't know what to do. She was all out of options.