"Did you miss me, Irishman?" I smirked, watching him unable to resist me. It was something that had rifely occurred in my youth and would no doubt continue know.  After events in Cookham, he most certainly had a lack of patience around me. Finan had found me roaming the halls in search of Edward and could not help but approach me.

Alas, Edward was not to be married for at least another day and I had already drank a considerable amount of wine. The physician had said it good for the child, saying a belly full of Frankish wine would give the child knowledge of his heritage. I didn't quite understand his logic but he knew more about the topic than me, and thus I obliged him. I was a little too far gone, nevertheless, and my wine had taken quite an effect.

"I think ya' know the answer to that," he responded with a low voice.

"Oh, I don't know," I giggled like a foolish schoolgirl. "Perhaps you'd have to show me."

The Irishman needed no pushing to do such thing. If I let him he would never leave my chambers but we both knew that would likely be too much of a risk. And he would've stayed with me and continued to remain in my company, he truly would've, If it wasn't for the clatter of steps that broke between us. He pulled away from me and glanced back, watching as Lord Aethelhelm passed.

"Lord," I greeted him with a soft spoken voice, as did Finan.

"Should you not be with your husband," He said as he looked at Finan before his gaze landed on me. "Your Grace?"

"I am merely catching up with old friends, Lord Aethelhelm. Please, do allow me congratulate you on your daughter's forthcoming marriage. Edward is..." I paused and met his eyes. "A Godly man."

"And she'd know all about tha'." Finan added, earning a glare from Aethelhelm.

"I'm sure." He seethed. He gave me a short nod before continuing to saunter down the corridor, no doubt to complain to Alfred that I was a bad influence on Edward and would endanger his fidelity to Aelflaed. I had no intention of such a thing. Finan's fidelity, on the other hand, was all mine.

"Constant interruptions," I commented to Finan, meeting his eyes. "Perhaps this is what our life will be like now."

"Our life?" He scoffed. I knew he found my marriage frustrating. He held it against me like a badge of sin. "We 'ave seperate lives, you and I."

"And yet the feeling remains," I muttered. "And what do you propose I do to rectify this?" I spoke with pure sarcasm. He arched a brow and I knew what he was thinking; it was obvious. "I can't just leave him, Finan, and you know this. I have a duty, as the Queen."

"The Queen." He satirically mimicked my tone but I could hear the frustration. I sighed and would've responded but Owain called my name from the hall. Finan glanced at me and scoffed, "Are ya' goin' to go run to yer' keeper?"

I rolled my eyes and didn't dignify him with a response, walking past him and back to the hall. I understood his frustrations but didn't wish to emulate them. I was doing my duty. I left him in the corridor, all alone, but it wasn't long ong before I noticed Finan standing a few metres from me. I rapidly excused myself quickly from the conversation and took steps towards, his eyes landing on me as soon as he noticed me. He couldn't resist it. He stood by Uhtred's cohort of men; Sihtric himself was staring at Owain like he was a pig ripe for eating. I could not help but giggle at the sight of their frowns. But, alas, their leader was not there. It struck me as odd but word suggested he remained in Mercia. I doubted that was entirely true; Uhtred of Bebbanburg was never that transparent.

"Finan," I began, leaning to his ear. I could not help but smile as I thought of the words I would say. "If you wish to have me to badly... then take me." In truth - I had returned to the wine and thus my words were said with a fusion of wine and misjudgement. I was with child and a common feature of the time I spent in such a state seemed to be making terrible, terrible decisions.

Nonetheless, Finan was a rough man who could not resist temptation - I knew it. He was weakened by such words and it was humorous to watch him squirm in such a public place. I moved away from his ear and watched his eye bulge.

"For a worthy man would take what he wanted." I continued, meeting his eyes. "And, as everyone knows, the only thing you want," I paused and bit my lip. "Is me."

It only took him a moment to grab my hand and pull me off into a corridor, pushing me against the wall like I was a ragdoll. I'd never seen him so certain of something and it only made me more intent on the inevitable.

"Jesus, woman, you may be married to him," He said, his lips brushing against my ear as he whispered. I almost melted at such an intimate interaction. "But you'll always be mine."

"I am no man's possession," I responded with a frown. Finan raised a brow but I dismissed it, continuing to speak, "Nonetheless, I ask one thing of you."

"And wha's that?" The tension somewhat lessened by the introduction of serious discussion, much to Finan's annoyance. I had teased him too long for him to be glad of a serious topic surfacing.

"This child..." I met his eyes. "No matter who it's Father is implied to be it is my child, and on that basis I ask should anything happen to me-"

"It won't," He cut me off. I scoffed,

"Women die in childbirth all the time, Finan. It is likely. Thus, I ask you protect it for me. If I am not here to do so then... Well, Owain is a paternal man, yes, but I do not think he would be able to give the child the necessary care, emotionally. He is all for raising a child to become a King but he would neglect it emotionally and I do not wish for that to happen." The effects of the wine were washing off rather rapidly and I knew I would likely not get another chance to speak to Finan. This was the moment I had to make my wishes clear.

"You're asking me to become a wet nurse," He frowned. I shook my head and responded hastily,

"I am asking you to be there for him when I cannot." I snapped. "If I am dead, how am I to ensure my child's safety? My Father would not take him and I can assure you my brothers, as much as they mean well, would not be able to care for the child. Owain is facing tantamount opposition from all sides and tension grows by the day. If Owain should fall, you will be it's only hope. Please, Finan. Just.. watch out for him."

"Rosamund-"

"Finan." I interjected with a frown. "All I ask is that if I do not survive -- which is likely -- that you ensure he lives. Should Owain die, should my Father and brothers perish, albeit unlikely, he will be heir to two kingdoms. I must ensure my duty is carried out and, well, he's my son. I want him to live."

"You're obsessed wit' duty." Finan muttered, avoiding looking at me. I knew why; as soon as he looked at me he would falter in his resolve and agree. "It's wha' got us into this mess in the first place."

"Us?" I chuckled; the ale had begun to falter somewhat and the rose tint I was seeing the world through began to vanish from my sight. "It is what binds me Finan, as your pledge binds you. I'm not asking for your oath, just an assurance."

"Fine." He said, glancing at me. He could not help but allow a small smile to grace his lips. "But, yer' not dying any time soon."

"Who knows?" I chuckled with a grin. "May God strike me down as soon as he sees it fit."