Chapter 1: The beginning

The story begins in Paris, the well-known capital city of France. Though, we should get going because there is a lot to learn and see.

Emily's POV

"My name is Emily Price. I'm said to be one of the most famous female detectives in Paris, which is quite weird when it comes to my age. I finished college fast enough, and my father, Michael Price, the leader of the police station, helped me get to know more about the field. Since i was a child, you could say i was 'addicted' to crime solving, i was always watching my Father doing his research in his office at home. I remember sitting on his lap and scanning his papers, even though i couldn't really understand what was happening. It didn't matter for him; he would always listen to what i had to say and somehow it would help him find another clue.

That was when he understood that i was good at crime solving. This is why, he helped me into this path. Now, here i am...enjoying public recognition as if i was a celebrity. Of course there are no paparazzi following me everywhere, and i'm not complaining for that, i wouldn't stand it anyway, but the Press is interested and always aware of what i do and the kind of cases i take on.

I suppose you'd like to know the basics about my childhood. Well, my father adopted me when i was 7 years old. I was in an orphanage for 3 years, since i was four. The women working there told me that they found me outside their door, knocking and saying these words: "My brother told me, you will take care of me" . I don't really remember my biological family. If i truly had a brother, i would remember him, right? Though, i remember absolutely nothing. Besides, i didn't even have anything that would help them locate my real family which seemed extraordinarily odd.

Well, it's not that i care much about it. I mean, i would like to meet my biological parents, yet it's not like my life depends on it. I've always thought that, the real family is the one who takes care of you and helps you become a kind person. It sounds somehow selfish, but it's not. I have my career and life, opportunities and my friends.

My best friend, Lauren says to me that "The past belongs to the past, the future is what counts" and i can't help but agree with her. You see, she has been friends with me since college. She's a computer programmer, so she's very helpful when having to find information. She also works for the police, not oficially, but she's my partner and that's obviously accepted.

Oh and as to love interests, because everyone finally asks about that, i have to say that there's nothing on my mind. For now, apart from not having found the right person yet, i'm not really into building a relationship straight away, i'm more of a workaholic person i guess...."

...

Emily's interview had finished when she wrapped her beige scarf around her neck, took her black backpack and left the building. The journalist made the exact same questions as everyone else. About her age, childhood, love interests and so on... No one ever asks about the difficulties, what it takes to be a detective and investigator or about the researches that are part and parcel with the job.

'Anyway' she thought, as she crossed the road, constantly noticing the lines which looked like cracks on the grey cement.

Emily opened the door to her apartment. Yep, what did you expect? Big, luxurious house maybe? A girl her age would probably have had wasted her income on a huge house, but Emily didn't find a privilege in that.

Due to the grey sky, which was full of clouds during that Monday afternoon, the place wasn't really "alive". She turned the yellow lights on and edged towards the wooden table in the small living room. Papers and coloured sheets were thrown all over and just by looking at the red or black circles, drawn on them, Emily felt dizzy.

Her whole body was hurting and she didn't feel like continuing the search for clues she had begun yesterday. Her body was so sore, that if she was to keep looking at her papers, she would fall asleep in a fraction of a second.

She took a shower and changed to her pijamas. Checking on her phone, she saw two calls from her father. As much as she felt tired, she knew, she needed to call him back. She had always loved her father, maybe more than other girls do. She pressed the green button and placed the phone next to her ear.

"Emi, are you okay?" he worridly asked.
"Yes, dad, i'm fine. I just finished the interview i told you about, did you want to tell me something?"
"No, sweetie, just wanted to check on you. Have you started the investigation on the Cat-case?"
"I started yesterday, but a little. I'll do most of it tomorrow 'cause i'm pretty tired now. Also, who gave that name to Mrs.Jones's case?"
"Jordan did. You know how much good he is at finding names for our cases..." he said with a chuckle.
"Remind me to tease him about that tomorrow." she faked an annoyed voice.
"Alright sweetheart...though try not to ruin his dreams about becoming a storyteller one day. He thinks he's good at it..."
"Seriously, dad, you were the one who made him believe that he is good at it...Anyway, i'm too tired to nag about that now. You'll see me tomorrow..."
"Okay, Em, i'll see if we can go to the crime scene once again, so you can double check."
"Alright, thanks dad! Say goodnight to Mom for me!"
"I will. Goodnight sweetheart" he said and hung up.

Emily smiled at the thought of her father, as she closed her eyes and slowly fell asleep.

...

"C'mon you sleeping beauty. Wake up! I hear noise from downstairs. It must be Santa Claus!!!" i exclaimed to the young boy sleeping on the big bed, on which i was standing.

"Don't be silly Em! Santa only comes on Christmas and i'm pretty sure that today's not Christmas. It's not even December,...now get out of my bed..."

...

"Em wake up! Wake up noow!!!"
he was shaking my shoulders as i opened my eyes sleepily.

"What happened Willy?" I rubbed my eyes as i felt like falling asleep again.
"Why are we outside?It's so coold!" I nagged at him and rubbed my frozen hands together, but they didn't get any warm.

"Em you gotta go!" he shouted.
"Whyy?! Why don't we just go home?" I asked, ready to let my tears free.

"You have to, Em! Just tell them that i told you, they will take care of you!" he said as he let my cold hand and pushed me to the opposite direction of which he was to go.

"Where are you going!!?? Will? Will!"

...

"Will? Will! Where are you?! Will!"

Emily immediately woke up, sweat was dripping off her forehead. She was breathing heavily, almost as if she was being chased by a murderer. Not that she'd be scared, she knew how to defend herself. But, this time, it was different. 'Will? That name again...what is it?' she questioned and got out of bed.

As she reached the bathroom, she washed her sweaty face and looked at her reflection in the mirror. 'My brother...Will...how did he even..?Ugh' ; tired to even start making questions, she put a lock of her blonde hair behind her ear. She let out a breath, which was being held back for so long and went back to bed.

She had got use to these weird dreams. She had them as a kid too, and was waking up in the middle of the night while yelling the name "Will" . The name of her brother, she just knew it. It couldn't be anyone else's, however, just a name couldn't answer all of her questionarks. Additionally, she wasn't sure if she wanted them to be answered. Some questions is better to remain unanswered...