Chapter Two

June 29, 20–
3:36 PM
-*-*-

Nestled in the trees was the single story craftsman home of Carla Collins that was almost completely hidden to the world. Despite its hiding place, the occasional drivers of the suburban community's dirt road would be able to spot the home's slate gray and white colors peeking out from behind the vivid green trees.

As Alexander Knight parked his Porsche Boxster in the dirt road in front of the craftsman home, the quieting roar of Vanessa's motorcycle sounded behind him as she parked her motorcycle beside a nearby tree. Alex exited his car and walked towards Vanessa as she took off her helmet. Her wavy shoulder-length hair spilling over her shoulders as she ran a thin hand through her hair, she smiled at Alex once he approached her. "Seems like they're having fun," Vanessa remarked, nodding towards the house while she put her helmet in the compartment under her seat. Alex followed her gaze towards the front of the home where a short dark-skinned woman with her hair pulled into a high bun was kicking a soccer ball while talking to a fawn haired man with an athletic build. Julian Harper Luke made a comment and Carla Collins giggled as she kicked the ball towards him.

"It's nice to see they aren't always at each other's throats," Alex acknowledged and Vanessa chuckled, the pair beginning to walk towards the steel gate surrounding the property. When the gate's entrance opened, a loud cry sounded and Carla's quick head turned to see them, her expression softening at the sight of them as she hurried to greet them with Julian trailing behind her, leaving the soccer ball abandoned on the grass.

"Finally you two are here, I thought Carly was going to talk my ear off," Julian let out once he approached the pair, earning a punch to his arm from Carly.

"You love hearing me talk," She countered, throwing her arms around Vanessa and kissing her cheek before embracing Alex and reaching up to ruffle his hair. Her amber eyes sparkled innocently against her pretty child-like face, but her temper didn't match her looks.

"Seems like you two are bettering your friendship. And is their a reason why we're going to be eating outside?" Vanessa asked, eyeing the four plastic chairs surrounding the foldable table full of packaged food that stood in front of the home. Julian shifted slightly and Carly folded her arms across her chest, huffing loudly.

"There was a minor acci--" Julian began calmly before being cut off by Carly.

"Minor!" Carly exclaimed, "You nearly burned down my house--"

"It was a little spark!"

"Oh how rich! So a 'little spark' set off my fire alarm and completely soaked my kitchen? I think not! And I was the one who had to clean--"

"Don't get ahead of yourself, we cleaned that up together, and I already told you I'll pay for any--"

"I don't want your money, I want my original kitchen--" Carly hissed stubbornly, looking away from Julian as he sighed, his blue-green eyes seeming tired.

"I think you two bicker more than schoolgirls," Alex said teasingly before clasping a heavy hand on Julian's shoulder, "Now speaking of kids, where's Cindy?"

"She's over at Stephanie's playing with her boys and Carla's dog for a while." He said and Carla smiled brightly.

"I just knew my nephews and little Cindy would love Junior as much as Julian and I do, " she said before snapping her fingers, "If I had known you guys would come over, I would've kept Junior here so he could meet you guys and spend some time with his daddy, " She said innocently, turning to Julian with a grin while he covered his mouth bashfully, giving enough reason for Vanessa and Alex to burst out laughing.