Chapter Twelve

Y/n woke up the next day on the floor. She was sleeping on her palet. She remembered going to sleep with KO though.

She looked around, confused, and noticed KO was still asleep. She stood up and walked over to him. But as she got closer, she heard his shaky breath and quiet sniffles. Was he crying? She couldn't see his face since he was facing away from her.

"KO?" She called. She saw him pull his covers over his face.

"I'm trying to sleep, Y/n." He said quietly. Y/n sat on the edge of the bed and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"It's nothing. I'm fine." He said as he pushed her hand off.

"You aren't fine. I can tell something is wrong." Y/n said. KO was silent for a moment before speaking again.

"I let him come see you... As a test..." He said. Y/n's eyes widened.

"You... Knew?" She asked. KO sniffed and nodded.

"I let Tko be in control so I could see what you would do. And now that I know..." KO trailed off. She heard him choke on a sob. "I know what you think of me, I don't want to be friends anymore. I don't want to talk to you. I don't want to see you. I don't like you anymore."

"KO, y-you don't understand--" Y/n was cut off.

"I understand just fine. You think I'm not good enough, that I can't do anything for you. Well... I'm sorry I'm not perfect. I'm not perfect like Tko." KO said. "Just... Get out."

Y/n sighed. She wasn't going to try and tell him she was sorry. This is what he wanted. She can't give him anything else such as love so she may as well do this.

Y/n walked out of the house, waving goodbye to Carol. She made her way down the sidewalk, back to her home.

~~~

Y/n walked inside her home and noticed all of the lights were turned on. She noticed her mother standing in the hallway talking to someone on the phone.

Y/n looked down as she passed her mother, avoiding eye contact. As she passed her, making her way to her bedroom, she heard her mother.

"Y/n." She called. Y/n turned to her and saw she was putting the phone down. "Come here."

Y/n sighed, expecting to be criticized by her mother for not wearing her hair up and having her glasses. She walked up to her mother and looked down. She saw M/n get on her knees and place her hands on Y/n's shoulders.

"I spoke to your friend's mother. She told me you are no longer friends." M/n said.

"Yeah... We... We can't be friends anymore..." Y/n said as she looked away.

"I know I haven't been a good mother. I know I said things I shouldn't have. And now that your father is coming to get you... I don't have a lot of time to make up for those mistakes." M/n said. Y/n's eyes widened in shock. Was she... Apologizing?

"What are you saying?" Y/n asked.

"I know you have things rough. I know you hate moving every time I get a new job. I know you hate being bullied. I know you hate losing friends. I know you miss your father. That's why... I asked him to come and get you. That's why he sent you that letter. I know you'll have a better life with him. You'll stop moving to new homes so much, you'll be able to keep your friends, and you'll have your father." M/n said.

"So... You do care about me?" Y/n asked.

"Of course I do. I work so much so I can provide for you. I tried to change who you are so that maybe people would bully you less. I'm... I'm sorry I only made things worse." M/n said. Y/n suddenly hugged her, surprising her.

"Thank you, Mom. That's just what I needed." Y/n said. M/n smiled and hugged her back.

"No, thank you. I should have done this a long time ago. I feel so much better now." She said. Y/n pulled away.

"So... Dad is coming to get me?" She asked. M/n nodded.

"He'll be here in a few days. We should start packing." M/n said as she stood up and grabbed Y/n's hand, leading her to her room. Y/n stopped her though.

"You don't think there will be a little time for us to hang out though, do you?" She asked. M/n smiled.

"Okay. What would you like to do?" She asked. Y/n thought for a moment before smiling.

"I have the perfect idea." She said.

~~~

M/n took Y/n to get her hair cut later that day, they went shopping together, they stopped at many places, and tried to have as much fun in one day as possible.

This was their last day to have fun together. Tomorrow they would pack everything Y/n wanted to bring, and then it would be time to go. She would be going to school for just a few hours and then her mother would pick her up early, and they would leave to get ready.

Y/n was honestly excited. She was happy to finally spend some time with her mom, but it had been so long since she saw her father. She could barely contain her excitement.

All she had to do was get through a few hours of school and it would all be over. Nothing could ruin this for her, not even losing KO. Or, at least, that's what she thought.