Chapter Seven

"M-Mom." Y/n stuttered, her eyes wide.

A tall woman in a blue outfit stood in the kitchen. She had on a long sleeve dark blue shirt with a lighter blue tie, and a dark blue tight skirt. She had on black high heels. Her h/c hair was tied in a ponytail.

"Y/n." M/n looked down at her. She furrowed her eyebrows. "What's wrong with your hair? And where are your glasses? You need them."

"U-Uh..." Y/n grabbed her hair and held it up like they were in pig tails. Although, her hair was now very messy.

"And your glasses?" M/n asked as she raised an eyebrow.

"Er... I forgot them at school! I-I'll get my spare pair!" Y/n said.

"Okay..." M/n mumbled, suspicious. She looked at KO. "Who's that and why are they here?"

"Uh, this is my friend, KO. He wanted to come over. I... I figured you wouldn't be here so I let him come over." Y/n said.

"Hm. Well, be quiet. No loud games. I'm trying to work." M/n said. Y/n nodded and began pushing KO out of the kitchen.

She led KO to her bedroom and closed the door. She leaned against the door and sighed.

"That was your mom?" KO asked, a little surprised. M/n seemed strict and even kind of mean while Y/n didn't seem anything like that.

"Yep, that's her." Y/n said. She walked over to her bed and plopped down, sighing. She stared up at the ceiling.

"Well... I thought you didn't need glasses. That you only used them to look prettier." KO said.

"That is all I use them for." Y/n said.

"Well, then what did she mean? And why did she say there was something wrong with your hair? It was perfectly fine!" KO said.

"It's nothing, KO. Don't worry about it." Y/n said. KO gasped, realizing something.

"Is your mom one of the people who think you're ugly?" KO asked.

"Ugh, KO, I said don't worry about it." Y/n said, sounding a bit irritated. KO frowned.

"Okay... I'm sorry..." He mumbled. He turned away from Y/n and looked at the floor. He didn't mean to annoy her.

After a moment, KO heard Y/n sigh.

"Yes." Y/n muttered. KO turned to her.

"'Yes' what?" He asked.

"Yes, my mom is one of the people who think I... I'm ugly." Y/n said. KO's eyes widened.

"What?! W-Why would she think that?!" KO asked as he walked over to Y/n. She sat up and looked at him.

"She's always thought I was ugly. She always made me wear glasses and pig tails. It was my dad who made me feel confident about my actual look. But after he left, I... I didn't feel so confident about it. I started to believe my mom and started thinking I was ugly, too. I know I'm ugly. Don't try to make me feel good about myself." Y/n said as she crossed her arms.

"But Y/n, you are pretty. You're beautiful to me." KO said as he placed a hand on her cheek. He leaned close. "You're the most beautiful person I've ever seen..." He stared into her eyes as he leaned closer. Y/n leaned back. She knew what he was trying to do. He was leaning in for a kiss. But she didn't like him like that.

As Y/n was leaning back, she realized that the mattress was right under her. As she leaned against it, KO pinned her down. He stared dreamily into her eyes, leaning closer.

"K-KO, wait. I told you I didn't like you like that, remember?" Y/n stuttered, placing her hands on his shoulders. She tried to push him off, but he wouldn't budge.

"Mhm, I remember..." KO mumbled, not really focusing. "I remember you said you had a tiny crush on me..."

"I-I still don't exactly like you that way! I-I think you're cute, but I don't really like you that much!" Y/n stammered. KO was barely an inch away from her face.

"Y/n..." KO mumbled. He had a glint of sadness in his eyes. "Why can't you like me? I-I'm just like Tko. What's so great about him?"

"Everything! He cares about me, he protected me, he's nicer to me than anyone else, and he boosted my self confidence!" Y/n said.

"I can do the same exact things!" KO said. "I care about you, I tried to protect you, I'm nicer than everyone, and I can boost your self confidence if you would just let me!" KO said. He felt his eyes tearing up. "Why can't you just like me?"

"Because... Because you're forcing it!" Y/n yelled as she shoved KO off. She stood up. "You can't force people to like you! If they like you, that's great! If they don't, oh well! You can't force me to like you, especially not when I like someone else!" She yelled as glared at him. KO growled.

"I wasn't trying to force you! And you can like me, too, because Tko is literally the same person as me! It's not fair that you only knew Tko for a few hours and already like him when I spent days trying to get to know you just to I could ask you out! Things always work out better for Tko just because he 'looks better than me'! It's not fair! You, of all people, should know not to choose looks over personality!" KO shouted, tears streaming down his face. He didn't want to yell, but that's what it came down to.

Y/n was silent. She stared at KO, who was still crying. He glared at her.

"I-If you don't want to be friends, then fine. But don't expect to get to see Tko. If I can't be friends with you, neither can he." KO said as he crossed his arms. "At least you won't have to deal with me anymore..."

KO turned and walked towards the door. As he was reaching for the doorknob, Y/n stopped him.

"Wait." She said as she grabbed his hand. KO looked down at it and sighed. "I-I'm sorry..." KO sniffed.

"Sure you are. You're probably just trying to get me to stay so you can see Tko. Well, it's not happening." He said as he pulled his hand away. He walked out of the room.

Y/n watched him walk out the front door, leaving. She sighed and looked down.

"Y/n." M/n called. Y/n walked in the kitchen and saw her holding an envelope. "You've got a letter from your dad."