I Remember Years Ago

Comenzar desde el principio

"Good for you." You muttered under your breath, rolling your eyes. It was always like Theseus to try and claim all the glory.

"(Y/N), I know you're working on your own manuscript, but maybe you could help Newt get started with his book." Leta proffered, taking a sip of her beer.

Newt choked on his water.

You blushed, trying to ignore the way the prospect of spending more time with Newt made you feel. "Well... I've been pretty busy lately, but, if you'd like me to, Newt, I'd be happy to help."

Newt's face was beet red as he coughed, doubled over in his chair. "Oh- yeah- um, sure-" another cough. "I mean- if you don't mind-"

You smiled. "I don't mind. I think it's a great idea," You glanced in Leta's direction, a knowing smile on your lips. "It'll be fun to get the old Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff team back together, don't you think?"

Newt placed a hand on his chest, breathing out the last embers of his cough. "Yes, we, that sounds great."

You grinned. "Want to meet up tomorrow? There's a little cafe near the university. We can go there and discuss."

"Sure." Newt nodded, looking extremely flustered.

Leta clapped her hands excitedly. "It's a date!"

~~~

The next day

You frowned at yourself in the mirror, smoothing down the front of your jacket. "Are you sure this is appropriate? It seems a little... flirty."

Leta grinned, placing her hands on your shoulders lovingly. "It's perfect, trust me," she sighed. "Oh, (Y/N), I'm so glad something is finally happening between the two of you!"

You frowned. "What do you mean? Nothing is going on between the two of us."

"Well... not yet." Leta smirked at you in the mirror.

You whirled around, pointing a finger accusingly in her chest. You felt your cheeks heat up in embarrassment. "Leta Lestrange, what did you do?"

She pushed away your finger gently, frowning at you. "I didn't do anything. It's about what you're going to do. Newt obviously likes you. This is the perfect chance for you to get together!"

You gasped. "You- you-" You sputtered. "You meddling little- bastard! What, was this just one big plot to get Newt and I together?!"

Leta shrugged. "Not totally, but partly."

You scowled, balling your fists into your jacket pockets. "I can't believe you! You know how I feel about you meddling in my life. The last time you tried to do this the guy turned out to be a complete psycho!"

"But you know Newt. You guys are perfect for each other! It won't be like last time. Besides, you have to admit... he's pretty cute."

"You're engaged to his brother." You crossed your arms, raising an accusing eyebrow.

Leta waves a hand. "I can acknowledge that he's attractive without being attracted to him. They're two different things."

You pinched the bridge of your nose, wishing to god this conversation was over. "Just- why-" you sighed. "I don't understand. You know relationships don't exactly 'work out' with me. How do you know this will be any different?"

Leta smiled knowingly, the smile of someone who had spent weeks masterminding a plan to get her fiancé's brother and her best friend to get together. "Trust me, (Y/N). I know."

~~

The cafe you picked was small, quaint, and perfect for a first date, as Leta had put it. It sat nestled in the outskirts of the local university, squished beneath a bookshop and a butcher, its teal facade faded and cracked from years of tear and wear. The inside was cozy, buttercream yellow, and totally empty except for you and Newt.