Brave

The wind in your air was different than anything you'd ever felt before. It was cold in a way you'd never experienced- chilling, malicious, almost vindictive of you. It was warm yet cold, inviting yet repulsive. You could see the black curtains of velvet marking Grindelwald's call in the streets below, the wind billowing them up and into the air like a curtain call for a funeral. It felt like a funeral. You wanted to join it, drop from the roof's edge into the soft midnight pillows. Not die, just join.

"(Y/N)," Newt said softly from behind you. "Let's go."

A delicate tear dropped onto your cheek. You wanted to go with him, but you couldn't move. Your limbs were no longer your own, unable to move. At least, to move towards Newt.

"(Y/N)," he said again, calling.

You clenched your fist to bring yourself back to your body. You shuddered, letting the cold flood your body, and jerked your head no.

"Please, (Y/N). I know you're upset, but we've got to go. Leta and Tina-"

"I don't care about Leta and Tina." Your voice broke.

Newt paused. "Right."

You felt a warmth in your hand. You glanced down and opened your palm to see that your nails had cut into your skin. You felt no pain, no fear, nothing- just nothing. The blood was nothing, not the red on your nails or the trails of the crimson running over your palm and through the cracks in your fingers. It was just a fact; you were bleeding. What for? You didn't know. You didn't care.

You clenched your fist again, ignoring the blood, and brought it to your throat, covering it with your other hand. You felt the blood smear onto your throat, the warmth running down into your shirt. You expected to feel something. You didn't. "I don't understand, Newt." You murmured.

"Wh- you don't understand what?"

You shook your head again, another tear tracing your cheek with its icy fingertip. "I don't know," you laughed. "Everything, I guess. About you."

You jerked away as a hand touched your shoulder, stumbling away from the burning that spread from his touch and the red anger that blossomed in your chest and cheeks. Newt grabbed your wrist to keep you from toppling over the edge, and again you ripped yourself away, hating the resentment that sprouted from his fingertips.

"(Y/N), let me help you."

You shook your head again.

He sighed and looked out at the streets, at the black spiraling up into the air. "I wish I wasn't in the middle of this," he commented sadly. You eyed him with suspicion, trying to repress the pang of empathy that spurred from the sight of his downturned cheek. "You know me. You know I'm not- not like Theseus, or Leta, or Tina, or-" he sighed. He shook his head. "I just want it to be over."

"Grindelwald? Or this?"

He looked at you, his eyes glistening. "A little bit of both, if I'm being honest."

Your face went red with anger, and you turned to the street again, crossing your arms over your chest.

"I know you and I know what you've been through, especially this past year. I'm sorry that I have to- add to the pain. If it helps," he paused, but you refused to look at him. "I never meant to- to cause this. To hurt you. Trust me, I never meant to-"

"To what? Hurt me? Fall in love with Leta? With Tina?" Your voice broke. "No, I don't blame you for that."

Newt was quiet for a moment before he took in a deep breath and exhaled, "You blame me for something, though."