I Remember Years Ago

Start from the beginning

Leta walked into the bar, winking at the goblin that opened the door. You murmured a quick thanks and darted in behind her.

"I'll get drinks, you go find Newt and Theseus." Leta pushed you towards the tables crowded in front of a small stage.

"No, Leta, wait!" You cried, but she was already gone. You sighed, trying to smother your anxiety.

He wants to see you.

"Newt!" You exclaimed, spying him and Theseus seated at a table in the corner of the restaurant, arms crossed and identical scowls on their faces. Ever the ones to fight, they were.

His eyes snapped up from the glass of water he was holding, instantly lighting up like a Christmas tree. His mouth tugged into a shy smile and he waved you over, pulling a chair out next to him. You crushed your nerves into a small, hard ball of nothingness that you buried deep down inside and made your way over to the table.

"Hello, (Y/N)," Theseus said, standing up and giving you a quick hug. "Is Leta coming?" He asked, settling back down in the chair across from Newt. You resisted the urge to tease him; his captivation with Leta was so obvious it was practically slapping you in the face.

"Yes, she'll be along soon. She's getting some drinks," your eyes darted to Newt, drinking up his tan complexion and glittering eyes. "Hello, Newt." You said softly.

His eyes snapped to yours, his cheekbones dusting red over his smattering of freckles. "Hello, (Y/N). Good to see you."

You smiled warmly. "Good to see you, too." It made your insides all gooey to know that Newt was happy to see you. And he may not have shown it like Theseus did, but you could tell he was happy to see you. He was the same way he was at school; all shy glances and warm words that let you know he cared.

Newt smiled, ducking his head. "How have you been?" He took a sip of his water and cleared his throat. "Theseus tells me you're working on a book?"

"Oh, yeah. I thought you knew that?" You waved to Leta as she came into view, an armful of bottles clutched to her chest. You felt your anxiety melting away as the conversation became easier and more natural.

"No, yes- well, I knew you had an idea, I just didn't know you had started writing the manuscript. I was actually thinking of, um, writing a book myself."

"Hello!" Leta cried, setting the bottles down with a ceremonious crash. "Theseus, Newt, so good to see you!" She pulled up a chair next to Theseus, her eyes blazing with excitement and her cheeks hot with red blush.

Theseus kissed her on the cheek. "Hello, darling." He said. You rolled your eyes. "Thank you for getting some more drinks. We're celebrating tonight."

"We are?" You perked up, reaching for a bottle of gigglewater.

Theseus smiled a proud smile at his brother, a rare sight to see. "Yes. Newt got a book contract this morning."

Newt blushed. "Well, actually-"

"Newt, that's amazing!" Your mouth dropped open in shock. "You just said you were thinking about it, I didn't know you were actually doing it! How long did it take you to get that deal? Why, it took me months to get mine-"

"I haven't written anything yet, it's just a preliminary thing- more of a commission, really." Newt winced, flushing under the weight of so many attentive stares.

"But still, that's very impressive. Who is the deal with?"

"The Department Of Education at the Ministry," Theseus piped in with a sly smile. "I helped connect him."