Family

You stared at the man with wide eyes. Your grandfather sat at the dining table with his head hung low while an intense silence hung in the air. You opened and closed your mouth, speechless.

"Uncle...." You breathed. You then faced your grandfather and a fake smile appeared on your face. "Hey gramps, why is there a pile of trash sitting at our table?" Your uncle inwardly flinched and he gave you a hurt expression.

"Ouch." Your grandfather breathed in deeply before he clasped his hands together and he let out a shaky sigh.

"Y/n, you should take a seat." He said and he gestured towards one of the dining chairs. You gave your grandfather a condescending stair. You then made sure you sat on the opposite side of that man. Your uncle faltered slightly as you showed him obvious resentment and he waited for your grandfather to explain himself.

"Dad, go ahead." Your uncle said. Your grandfather nodded and he looked you in the eye.

"Y/n, it's been a very long time since your parents passed. Now that you've graduated elementary school, you will be going to another school to start middle school." Your grandfather told. You nodded and raised an eyebrow at him.

"Yeah, what are you getting at gramps?" You questioned. Your grandfather bit his lip and averted his gaze from yours. Your uncle let out a tired sigh and he flicked his bangs out of his face.

"Y/n, what gramps is trying to say is that he can't take care of you anymore. He's always too busy with work and you're always by yourself." He explained. You frowned and clenched your fists.

"Yeah and? I've always been fine on my own. I don't mind the way things are, I enjoy spending time with my friends and I'm never alone. I'm a growing girl I know how to take care of my self." You stated. Your grandfather shook his head.

"That's just it. You're still a growing girl. Y/n, from now on, you will be living with your Uncle." He told. Your eyes widened in absolute shock. What? You then gritted your teeth and slammed your fists on the dining table as you stood up.

"I'm sorry but WHAT!?" Your grandfather flinched as you raised your voice. It was a rare occasion that you ever raised your voice, yet it was understandable. "What is WRONG with you!? Are you mental or did you just forget that he ABANDONED me right after my parents died!" You shouted, clearly angry. Your grandfather bit down hard on his lip and he shot up.

"I DID NOT FORGET! I AM JUST AS ANGRY!" Your grandfather shouted, silencing you. He then shook as he clenched his hands together. "I...I can't do it, Y/n. I just..." You furrowed your brows in concern, clearly hurt with his decision.

"W-what do you mean you can't do it. Are you...giving me away...? Gramps, please... Don't do this..." You whimpered. Your grandfather began to tear up and he shook his head.

"I'm sorry, Y/n. But this is the reality of things. I can't take care of you anymore. I'm...I'm sorry." He gritted out. You stared at your grandfather with wide disbelief filled eyes. He was actually serious about this. You swallowed the bile that had built up in your throat and you shakily turned towards your uncle.

"Why do you suddenly care now? Don't you have a child of your own? What about Angela?" You questioned him, your voice very shaky. Your uncle smiled sadly at you, and stood up out of his seat.

"Y/n, what I did back then was completely unforgivable. But...I just wasn't ready to be a father. I...chickened out. But ever since I had Angela, I've received the confidence of being a father. That's why I want to take you with me back home." Your uncle admitted and he smiled warmly at you.

You stared at your uncle with an agape expression. You then swallowed hard, and averted your gaze from his.

"D-do you really mean it...?" You whispered. Your uncle nodded. You felt all of the despair erase from your heart, and a smile lifted your face. Your eyes then caught onto the red circle on the table and you looked up at the document resting in clear view.