Chapter Sixteen

On Valentine's Day, Alex took off work and had plans for the entire day

On Valentine's Day, Alex took off work and had plans for the entire day. We had been weird with each other since our giant fight. We hadn't properly made up. I still resented Alex for the way he'd acted and I'm sure he was harboring feelings as well. We'd tried to discuss it a few times - why the mood with us was so tense, but it would either result in a fight, or us sleeping with each other to ease the tension like it had when we first tried making up.

I hoped it was something time would heal. It was upsetting that we couldn't resolve our fight.

"Good morning," Alex said as I woke up. I opened my eyes to the sight of dozens of red roses in my face; I felt a heavy weight on my legs and tried to hold the massive bouquet. "Oh my god," I giggled. "They're falling!"

He grabbed them to stop them from toppling off the bed and laughed. "I'm going to have Franc separate them into different vases for you later."

"Thank you," I told him. I wrapped a hand around his neck and brought him down to kiss me. "I love them!"

"I love you," he said.

"I love you too," I replied.

I got up and took a shower, before getting dressed. I wore a simple black long-sleeved dress and did my hair and makeup. When I arrived downstairs, Alex had the dining room table spread with a feast: pancakes, bacon, eggs, toast, sausage, fruit, biscuits - it all looked delicious.

"Did you make this?" I asked him, as he helped me into a chair and slid it into the table for me.

"No," he admitted, blushing. "Franc helped."

"It looks amazing," I told him. "Thank you."

"Happy Valentine's Day," he said, holding up a glass of orange juice. I tapped mine against his.

We ate happily, for the first time in a while. It was refreshing feeling so at ease with each other.

"What's next on the agenda?" I asked him happily as we sat on our couch, legs intertwined with each other.

"Hmm," Alex said. "I was thinking a light lunch by the water downtown, window shopping for as long as we'll be left alone, before a tour of a winery downtown, followed by dinner."

"That sounds very nice," I told him. "Good job."

"Thank you," he laughed. "I wanted our first Valentine's Day to be special."

I smiled at him. "It already is." I fake gasped. "I almost forgot, I have something for you!"
I went to the kitchen, opening a drawer and taking an envelope out. "You promise you didn't look?"

"I promise!" Alex said.

I'd made him swear to me he wouldn't check his bank statement for fear of spoiling the surprise.

He opened the envelope, and a postcard of a sailboat fell out. He picked it up and looked at it quizzically. "What's this?" He asked.

"Read it," I urged, giggling.