25

"Thanks Mrs. Clifford, you're the greatest."

"You're too sweet, Calum." She smiles, handing Calum a mug of hot chocolate once Calum is comfortable.

Calum was crashing on their couch in the basement, until Michael and his mom cleaned out their spare room in the morning.

"Really, thank you for this." Calum tells her, giving her a weak smile.

"Of course. Michael said he'll be down in a few minutes."

Calum just nodded in response, and she smiles as she heads upstairs. He just curled up in his spot, focusing on the TV as he sipped from the mug recently handed to him.

Michael sat next to him, a yawn escaping his lips. Calum couldn't blame him, he only showed up around midnight. Through, Michael was normally up all night.

"Do you need to talk?" Michael asks, making Calum look away from the TV.

Calum shakes his head, "I've had enough of talking for today, I think. Thanks for everything you're doing, and have done for me. You're a really great person, and friend."

Michael lightly chuckles, "I get that. But it's fine, Calum. We're friends. I've told you before I'm not gonna treat you like shit."

Calum sighs, "I know. I just feel awful. I feel like I'm just always annoying you with my shit."

"Dude. I told you a million times it's fine. Just stop worrying. Just get some sleep maybe, okay?" Michael says, before standing back up.

Nodding, Calum puts his mug down, curling up in his place on the couch.

"Oh, and Cal?"

"Yeah?"

"How did your parents take the news of you coming here?"

"Oh. Yeah. They're upset. But I just left." Calum lies, as if he actually told them.

Michael nods, acknowledging his answer before heading back upstairs.

Calum just sighs again, closing his eyes as he tries his best to just fall asleep.

-

Waking up on Christmas morning, Calum squints as he looks at the TV, which he left on all night. He just lays there for a while, staring up at the ceiling because he didn't want to have to continue on with today.

Grabbing his phone, multiple notifications are across his home screen, his sister and parents trying to get ahold of him. Also Michael.

He didn't answer his family yet he just opened the one from Michael.

'Cal when you get up just come upstairs'

'My mom still acts like I'm a child when it comes to Christmas'

'Please don't make fun of me'

Calum lightly chuckles when reading the texts, before sitting up. He was a bit nervous to spend Christmas with Michael's family, but it was so much better than his own.

Making his way upstairs, Calum takes a few deep breaths before he joins Michael and his parents.

"Calum!" Michael exclaims, getting up from his spot on the floor.

Calum quietly laughs, "Hey, Michael. merry Christmas, everybody."

Everybody wishes each other a merry Christmas, before telling Calum to go sit with them. Though both of Michael's parents got up to clean just moments after.

"How are you feeling today?" Michael asks, the second the pair are alone.

"I'm okay. Im glad I don't have to face my entire family. I'm a bit sad I'm missing it; but I know I can't handle it right now." Calum replies, quietly sighing.

Michael nods, "I understand. I'm gonna start cleaning out the room with my parents. You should call yours."

Calum doesn't reply as Michael gets up and walks off. He just looks down at his phone, seeing his family trying to contact him.

When his sister calls him once again, he actually picks up.

"Calum! Where are you?" She exclaims, before Calum can even say anything.

"I'm at Michael's."

"Your roommate Michael? Why?"

"I can't be home. I can't do it. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry I'm so weak. I can't face it. I'm sorry." Calum tells her, doing his best to hold himself together.

"Cal, mom and dad are going to be so hurt." She says, her voice soft.

"Mali, I'm hurting too. I'm sorry. Merry Christmas. Tell mom and dad I love them." Calum replies, before he hangs up the phone.

Staying put in his spot on the couch, he sighs, not sure what to do. He knew he wasn't going to go home. There was no way Calum was going back. Groaning, Calum stands up, heading in the direction Michael went moments earlier.

"Oh, hey, Cal." Michael smiles, once Calum makes his way to their spare room.

"Hey." He chuckles in response.

"You're coming to dinner with us tonight, right?" Michael's mom asks, looking up after he finishes making the bed.

"If you'll still have me, I'd love to." Calum replies, not really speaking to Michael but more to his mom.

"Oh, Calum, honey, of course. I've already told them you'll be joining us." She smiles, before leaving Calum and her son.

"My whole family will probably be so annoying to you since they don't know you, so I apologize in advance."

"It's fine. They don't know Dani so they won't ask about her. It'll be fine. I'll answer everything they ask." Calum tells him, a small laugh leaving his lips.

"They'll probably ask about girls though. They love drama." Michael replies, laughing.

"That's fine." Calum deadpans, sitting on the bed.

"How come you'll talk to my family about girl problems but not yours?" Michael questions, joining Calum on the bed.

"You know why!"

"You just have to tell them you two broke up and you don't want to talk about it."

Calum groans, "But the pity and the looks and the questions about why and them telling me how much they loved her and-"

"Calum! Stop! I understand you not being able to do this now. But you'll have to tell them at some point. That's all I'm saying." Michael interrupts, trying to get him to relax.

He sighs. "I know. It'll be easier to tell them when I'm not so fucked up by it. It still hurts. It's still hard to understand."

Michael nods, "I really do get it. I only bring this up and say the things I do because you need to talk things out."

"I know. Thanks, Michael. I think I need to go get ready for tonight."

___________

mytt live and lie to me ft julia michaels both just dropped and uhhhh I'm in distress. this band really tryna fuck up my emotions huh.