Chapter Four - Light

It was the bright white light that woke me. Sliding through my eyelids, I felt my eyes beginning to open but the brightness almost too much. I wanted to close them again, but I heard voices and felt my hand being touched.

"Chrissy, can you hear me love," said a voice I knew well, the stroking continued and as I felt fingers within my own, mine didn't want hers to let me go.

I still hesitated opening my eyes further, it seemed comforting to stay half asleep, but I was curious. There seemed to be a series of people moving around me and my arm hurt, it seemed to be attached to something.

My eyes widened as voices rumbled all around me and I felt my left arm being shaken.

"Nurse, call the doctor. She's opening her eyes."

My mother was almost glued to me. Her pupils black and wide, her face tight.

"Take it easy, love. It's okay," she said as one hand stroked my brow.

I gazed around the room. "Where's my husband Joe?" I asked, a blank look I didn't understand filled her face.

"I want Joe," I said sobbing, "where is he?"

My mother turned to Dad and then back to me, "He's at home looking after......., we were taking turns watching over you. I'll just try ringing him love, he might have gone to bed as it's late. I'll just go out in the hall. The reception not very good in your room."

I nodded. "I want Joe. I want Tory. Where's my baby?" I felt my body shudder and start to shake, in waves, over and over.

"She's fitting, Nurse," someone screamed and the lights when out.

Sorry it's a short chapter folks but it's a busy time of year.  Will try and post more over the next few days.