"Thank you. I love you, ugly!" she teased as I walked towards her desk, laughing.

If only she meant it differently.

As I got to the desk, I froze. Something appeared to my eyes and I felt my heart rising into my throat, and the tears brimming. There it was. The letter hanging on the wall with the key.

*

I was just twelve and Rosaline was eleven.

"Niall, come to my house today. Yeah?" Eleven year old Rose told me over the phone.

"Okay, Rose. But I have to do the dishes. I'll be right over to you in about ten minutes," I said. She lived just a few houses down.

I walked to her house with wet hands after I was done, and walked straight through the door because I was, like, practically family. I went upstairs to Rosaline's green room.

"Rosie?" I called out for her because I didn't see her, anywhere.

Suddenly two hands clamped down on my mouth from behind, and someone really light weighted had jumped on me and tackled me to the floor.

It was obviously Rose. She burst into fits of laughter. "You should have seen your face!" she teased.

"You're so mean..." I pouted, later joining her in laughing. "So what's up?" I added after our laughs sobered up.

She stood up off the floor and shut her door, and then helped me up. She pulled me by my hand towards her closet.

"What are you doing?" I asked curiously.

"Shut up, Nialler. You will see!" She said opening her closet door and closing it behind us as we entered.

I pulled a string to turn on the light while she began pushing all of the clothes that hung on the rail out of the way, revealing a door. Then she reached into a shoe beneathe us, taking out a bronze, old fashioned key and sticking it into the door.

"Wh-What's in there?" I asked scared and nervous.

"Oi, Niall. Shut up." she hiss-whispered, yanking me in.

It was a small dark room with cob webs everywhere, old furniture, and squeaky floorboards.

"It's a place where I go to get away from everyone. A place where I can be alone. I wanted it to be our secret hiding place," she was smiling brightly, the most beautiful smile.

I smiled back, my heart pounding.

"...But Niall, first I want you to promise me something..." she said with all seriousness.

"Anything!" I didn't hesitate. I would've jumped off a bridge for this girl. She would be the death of me.

She pulled out a paper from her dress pocket, and handed it to me, along with a fuzzy purple pen.

I opened it and read it...

As Bestfriends FOREVER... When you become famous, to follow your dreams, you'll NEVER forget our memories, childhood, and adventures together. And you will especially remember me, Rosaline Kendall as your bestfriend.

Her full name was scribbled across the bottom in cursive, and since I was a left handed boy, I wrote sloppily but readable when I signed my name.

Rosaline Marie Kendall

And my name was plastered next to hers.