Chapter 13

"So this is the Cullen house." Charlotte looked around the threshold apprehensively.

"What were you expecting? Coffins and moats?" Jasper rolls his eyes.

"No. Just something dark and gloomy." Charlotte grinned back.

"Oh we keep that in the basement." Emmett boomed from another room.

"Emmett that's enough. Don't scare her away." Esme hissed.

"Oh no. I've been in worse situations." Charlotte laughed as her and Jasper walked into the living room.

"Like the Voltori?" Edward grinned.

"No. Like being thrown into an active volcano with my wings bound against my body." Charlotte scoffed. The Voltori were nothing compared to the horrors she's seen.

"Who would do that"Esme gasped horrified.

"My mentor. It's custom for each fey to be put into a dangerous situation and try to figure out how to save yourself." Charlotte shrugged. "I made the air around me surge upward, lifting me from the volcano. After you pass your test you get your race's mark." She lifted her shirt up showing a cloud shaped rune with lighting bolts coming from the cloud. They weren't like the stereotypical lightning bolt, it was like real lighting.

"That's so cool." Emmett breathed. "I want one." He looked at Rosalie like a little kid asking for a lollipop.

"Come here." Charlotte beckoned him forward. She pulled a black sharpie left off the top of a half finished crossword on the table. Emmett sat in front of her looking like after begging for years he finally got the lollipop. She took his arms lifting up the sleeves expertly drawing thick lines intersecting with thin lines. The first symbol she drew was around the size of a coaster. She moved on further down his arm starting another one much more curvy and thick than the last.

Ten minutes of silence and Charlotte picked her head up grinning proudly. "A fearless rune, a protector rune and a warrior rune."

"I'M UNSTOPPABLE NOW!" Emmett whooped loudly.

Charlotte tossed the sharpie back on the table leaning back into Jasper. He wrapped his arms around her chucking at Emmett who was showing off his runes. He tried drawing them on Edward but his hand kept slipping messing it up.

"You can't reproduce them. It's impossible to do." Charlotte smirked at Emmett who was frowning like a child.

"Why not?" Emmett whinnied.

"Fey magic doesn't allow it. I don't know why or how but you just can't." Charlotte rested her head back on Jasper's shoulder.

"You made it look so easy." Alice breathed looking at Emmett's arm he was proudly showing everyone.

"I learned them as a kid, I have to know what they mean when they appear." Charlotte shrugged like it wasn't a big deal.

"I heard there was a hurricane on the east coast." Jasper whispered in Charlotte's ear.

"There is?" Charlotte bolted into a sitting position. "I have to go home."

"Why?" Emmett looked up from his arm.

"It might finally be my turn." Charlotte squealed.

"Turn for what?" Rosalie asked tilting her head to the side.

"To raise a faerie! To teach them what they need to know and care for them!" Charlotte couldn't help but feel excited. It had to be her turn this time.

"You would be like their mom?" Rosalie asked carefully.

"Well if you put it that way. We would have no actual relation other than our race." Charlotte never thought about it that way before. Rosalie stormed out of the room angrily muttering how life isn't fair.

"Being a mom is a sore subject for her." Emmett smiled sadly almost sounding apologetically. He ran after Rosalie sighing.

Charlotte ran out of the house wanting to get home as fast as possible. She sprinted down the driveway spreading her wings.

~

Charlotte burst into her house frantically not even closing the door all the way. She looked around the house loosing hope with each room she went through. Finally giving up she collapsed on the couch with a sad sigh.

There was a red envelope sitting on the coffee table that caught her eye. Picking it up wondering what it could be she noticed it had the symbol of the Storm Faeries on the wax seal. Ripping it open she pulled put the hand written letter.

Charlotte Waters,

Due to recent events and said events coming to light The Council has decided to not take this matter without up most urgency. The Council has reason to believe our ancient enemy, Terrae, has created an army. We also have reason to believe we have a traitor amoung us who has given her sap from the Dragonash tree, deadly to our kind.

Therefore we have selected you among with many of our fey brethren to fight for our homeland and lives. Due to your combat history and selfless attitude to save a friend we would be honored if you joined your friends and family to fight by their sides. Gather in Faerie tomorrow when the sun is at it's highest.

We would also like to give thanks for what you did to the Italian vampires. You have given us great status among the supernatural world.

Diluxae comlente abrui

The Elder Council

Charlotte stared down at the note in her hand not knowing what to do. Danny was right. She sat there, staring down at the words, thinking maybe they would change into something else. But they never did.

Jasper found her like that, hours later; sitting and staring at a letter in her hands. "Charlotte?" He asked quietly and carefully. "Is something wrong?" The paper in her hands burst into flames, bits of ash falling into the black carpet.

Her response came as a strangled whisper. Like she had lost her voice suddenly hardly able to speak at all.

"My people are at war."