45. Failure was the second ending

When I returned on the surface of the earth everything was different, but yet familiar. We didn't live in the two-story apartment we had before, the apartment where we had lived with our child. Nor in the tiny apartment above a noisy club that had been our first shared apartment.

I lived in that ridiculously small flat above the Chinese restaurant. When I figured out what day it was I got ready and left for work. I was sweating and nervous what if she wouldn't be there?

All eradicate thoughts swam in my head until I was in a daze to work with muscle memory. I held my breath as I stepped inside the elevator.

"Hold the elevator!" I heard a yell behind me and I swear my heart stopped. I slammed my hand against the already closing elevator door a little too hard leaving small dents from my fingers. "Thanks... I... Owe you one." Fay said, breathing hard and fast as if she ran all the way here.

My breath was caught in my throat as I turned to look at her. She looked like herself again. For the first time since we found out about her cancer, she looked healthy and well. Ready for life again. Color in her face, cheeks heated as she leaned against the elevator wall and gasped for breath. She was fanning herself with a file she had with her, trying to stop sweat from breaking onto her skin.

I could stare at her forever. I shook my head quickly and pressed the elevator button to our level.

"Huh. I missed the buss, had to run. Hey, that's my floor too. Do we work together?" She asked with a smile on her face.

"I don't know, my name is Clark Kent."

"Fay Queen." She smiled back.

"Oh yes, you are my intern." I told her and shook her hand.

"Oh, how lovely. I'm looking forward to us working together." She smiled and for me it didn't matter if she would never fall in love with me again. As long as she was smiling.

***

"Clark! Help!" She screamed.

I could hear her from halfway around the world. I didn't even switch between clothes I just took off into the air like a torpedo straight towards her location. "Hold on." I mumbled.

"Clark please!"

"Yes, scream away for your little boyfriend. As soon as your little hero comes here we will end his life... And then yours." The maniac holding her captive was laughing, and the anger I felt at that added fuel to the fire inside of me. "Are you surprised?" He asked after her gasp. "We have known Superman's identity for quite some time. We just had to ready our little gun for him. You notice it's green right. It's made of kryptonite." At that Fay's sobbing increased. "I see you have heard of it."

"Clark stay away!" She pleased suddenly. I knew this battle might be the one that would kill me. I knew death would eventually come with the number of enemies I had gained. But I had hoped I could grow old with Fay, have children and go crazy while raising them. Maybe live on mom's farm and retire from being Superman... I knew I wouldn't be able to honor her request. I couldn't stay away. Not while she was in danger.

"Just a little more." I thought and a few moments later I was busting through a roof and fighting my way to the cellar.

"Clark go away!" Fay screamed when I ripped a metal door off it's hinges and saw her sitting tied in a chair.

"I knew you would come for your little girlfriend. Heroes are always so weak when it comes to women." A man said, holding the kryptonite weapon that had already made me feel weaker a mile away.

It was no small gun.

"Die!" The man screamed and like a maniac, he started laughing and shooting around the room, not even aming towards me... But more... Away from me. But even before he'd known what happened he was face first on the floor with his own gun to his head.

"That was pathetic." I snarled.

"Was it? I killed you didn't I?" The man laughed.

"What the hell do you mean?" I asked, angrier than ever.

"I shot you right in the heart!" His screaming was like death itself embodied to a sound and I had just begun to think this man was insane until he turned his gaze towards Fay still laughing: "Right in the heart!"

And that's when I heard it. A tiny voice whispering my name: "Clark. It hurts." And as I turned my gaze towards Fay I watched her bleed all over. She had been shot numerous times, I could see too many bullet wounds bleeding than I could even quickly count.

"Right in the heart! She's your heart! And you just lost her!" And the man kept laughing as I flew to Fay, as I untied her and took her to my arms, as I struggled to get the kryptonite bullets from her skin, as my skin burned while I tried to stop the bleeding.

And he was right. He hit me right in the heart. No bullet in me could have hurt half as much as holding her there, helpless, as she died in my arms.

I didn't wait a second after she was gone. Just flew right up to rewind the time again. I had made a mistake. I had failed.

***

These chapters are wrenching my heart out!

Arrrgh and I have been getting a lot fewer comments too I don't think my readers are exactly enjoying me crushing their spirit.

We only have a little more to go!