Chapter Fourteen (14)

Start from the beginning

Before Jean knew what was happening, the three guys eyed her and their faces lit up. The youngest guy- probably in his mid 30s, put his hands straight up in the air. All of them cheered simultaneously. The older guy, a friendly looking man who looked like he would try to sell Jean a car, put his hand up to high-five Jean. She laughed nervously as she tentatively went to high-five him back.

"It's actually you!" the old man said. "Brooke here was bragging about knowing you. I didn't believe it!"

"Jean, this is Donny," Brooke said. "Matt, Jeff." She said, pointing to the other two. She remembered their names?

"I take it you saw my video?" Jean said, unsure of what else to say.

They all laughed together. Jean looked past one of them to see a half naked girl walking around and she quickly averted her eyes back to Donny.

"Matt here saw it online and was showing me here. Looks like you know how to have a good time!"

A good time? What was a good time?

"I don't really remember anything," Jean replied.

She wasn't intentionally trying to be funny, but they all laughed at her as if she made a joke. She smiled in return.

"You wanna learn how to make a drink?" Brooke asked. "You can make Donny here his favorite."

Donny smiled at Jean.

Jean shook her head. "I probably shouldn't."

Brooke ignored her and started handing her the bottles. Jean wondered where the management in this place was, and wondered if they would be upset.

"What?" Brooke said, looking at Jeff. "She's over 21, and I'm in charge tonight."

Jean did as Brooke said and handed the drink to Donny. He took a sip and his face lit up.

"Better than Brooke's."

Jean laughed as that caused an uproar among the friends. Donny reached into his pocket and slid a $20 bill to Jean across the bar.

"No, no!" Jean said, not taking the money. "I don't want to take-"

Brooke crumpled the money in her own hand and pulled Jean to the side roughly. She shoved the money into her hand and got right in her ear.

"Don't be an idiot," she said. "This is why we're here."

Jean looked at the money in her hand and slid it into her pocket. It would take making at least twenty cups of coffee to get that much of a tip.

She knew she was in trouble.

***
Jean sat in the armchair is her living room. She looked around at her barren apartment. The walls were mostly bare, with 2 picture frames hung that Jasmine had given her as gifts. She had one chair, a small table and a TV on it. She never had enough spare money to invest in things to make her apartment look nice.

She knew a $20 tip was abnormally high, even in a place like that. The guys were just excited to see her because of the video. She couldn't expect that every time.

However, Jean found herself unable to move, because even despite the money, Jean found herself not entirely hating the time she had. The men were friendly, and frankly, she enjoyed the attention. She couldn't remember the last time so many people were so interested in what she had to say. Yes, the half-naked women shocked her at first, but as the night went on, she found herself not noticing as much.

Brooke had texted Jean and told her that the owner was okay with Jean working as a waitress. Brooke already asked when she wanted to come in and fill out her paperwork. Jean hadn't even been able to process what was happening, if this was something she actually wanted to do. She knew she technically wouldn't be a stripper, she would just work at the club itself. She didn't know if it was much better.