"Iris..." He said, looking at me.

"Don't," I replied as I walked away from him. How did he have the nerve to even talk to me after what he just did? I jogged to catch up with my friends, trying to calm myself down and focus on the game.

We came to a stop and everyone gathered around in a little huddle.

"So, initiates. Where should we hide the flag?" Eric asked, looking out at all of us.

"The carousel?" a Dauntless-born suggested.

"Too easy."

Everyone was quiet for a moment, all of us thinking of somewhere to hide the flag when it came to me.

"The helter-skelter," I suggested, nodding my head in its direction, "we can hide it at the very top."

"Good idea. Iris and I will stay with the flag as we both have good aim so can shoot anyone we see coming towards us," Eric said, instructing everyone else on where to go as I zoned out. I was so confused about what he wanted and I was still so angry about being on the same team as Lee, I didn't know if I could be in the same room as Eric for so long.

As everyone started to disperse, I walked towards the helter-skelter and went inside, climbing the stairs to the top. I could hear Eric behind me but I didn't want to acknowledge him, so I carried on walking.

We climbed to the top and set up our guns in silence, each facing a different direction. I stood there looking out, trying to calm myself again as I knew if Eric tried to speak to me I would snap.

"You're awfully quiet," Eric said, unfortunately breaking the silence before I had managed to calm down.

"Why the fuck did you put me on the same team as Lee?" I asked, anger flooding through me.

"Don't talk to me like that," Eric replied, authority clear in his voice.

"I don't care. Why did you ever think that was a good idea? Do you just enjoy hurting people?"

"Sometimes. But I didn't do it to hurt you," he answered quietly, adjusting his gun so he could look at me.

"Then what the fuck?" I snapped, turning to look at him.

"You better calm down."

"I'm not calming down until you give me a reason."

"I did it to protect you! This way I could keep an eye on him and make sure he wasn't going to hurt you again!" Eric finally admitted, his gaze flickering away from mine.

"Oh," I replied, not knowing what to say, "thank you."

Eric nodded in response and an awkward silence fell over us but was shortly broken by figures approaching the helter-skelter in the distance.

"Don't shoot yet, wait until they're a little bit closer," he muttered quietly so they wouldn't hear us.

I saw someone from our team grab one of them from behind and drag them behind an old popcorn stand.

"What are they doing?" I whispered.

"Finding out where their flag is."

I watched carefully, positioning my gun so that it was aimed at the popcorn stand, waiting until they reappeared.

"The dodgems!" I heard one of the Dauntless-born announce to everyone, running towards them with a few more from our team on his tail. I was still watching, waiting for the other team members that were just here to come towards the helter-skelter, but they never did.

"Where did they go?" I muttered to myself, adjusting myself again to see if I could spot them.

"They've either knocked them out or tied them up," Eric replied.