IX

Louis was making a long playlist for Niall's party while Harry and Donovan brainstormed. They had decided to get a bit of a jump start on the basics without Liam and Zayn's help. As those lovebirds were too busy having a date night. Not that Louis really needed them right now, he was pretty sure they could figure out the music part of it.

Didn't take a genius to work a radio or an iPod.

It was probably the most they could get done tonight as Louis had a train to catch soon, he was going to see his family for the weekend.

"Def Leppard and Cinderella," Harry announced, his voice ricocheting against the walls of the quiet kitchen. "Maybe some Motley Crue?"

"We're throwing a contemporary birthday party, not an 80's bash, Harold. Get with the times!" Louis teased, feeling himself slowly start to smile. "Do you've got any other suggestions than what's on your Itunes?'

Harry had this mischievous glint in his eyes, chuckling as if Louis told the funniest he's ever heard. It made Louis' heart skip a beat.

"Hey, you asked for suggestions, Lou. Don't blame the messenger for doing his job." Harry held his hands up in defense, it was absurd that the curly haired bastard looked cute doing so. Louis wished he could hold it against him.

"What about Alan Walker?" Donovan finally piped up, and Louis nodded. Niall always had like that dance- electronic shit. The heartthrob was definitely winning major brownie points. "Alesso?"

Louis jotted those down, biting back his grin when he slowly dragged his eyes across the table and Harry's sitting there with a moue of disappointment, with arms crossed. Like a child that didn't get his way.

He was enamoured with a goofball, go figure.

At least they're having a decent time as the past week and a half had been a bit strange. Not like doors opening and closing by themselves, poltergeist kind of thing. They just felt out of sync, like something in the universe shifted since that night Sean had been (not so) warmly welcomed back into his social circle. They haven't engaged in their usual banter and deep conversations. It was more small talk than anything, and Louis couldn't help but wonder if maybe Harry was still upset?

It had been days now, he'd outta realize by now that Sean wasn't his boyfriend nor anything more than a mate. Sure, they text off and on, and had a few late night calls, but nothing more than that. Shit, Louis hadn't even seen Sean physically since that day.

Okay, maybe that was a bit of a lie, Sean did drop off his shirt for work the day after, but it was a brief encounter. Louis was on the tail end of his lunch break.

It was just weird. But, today seemed like Harry might be over it already? He was hanging out with Louis discussing party planning stuff with Donovan. Not trying to pull away at any chance he could get.

But you know, those things Harry told had him about always having someone, he wasn't wrong. Well, the past Louis did. Never ending cycle of failed relationships and flings. First dates that never made it to a second. He'd always had a boyfriend, never single. Never alone. Louis blamed it on his careless young heart back in the day for falling fast and hard for any guy that took an interest in him. Good or bad. But it's been three years of spending his time without anyone, so he didn't get it.

And he wished he could ask Harry about what he'd meant. But they never got their chance to tell you how they felt because there always had been someone else.

It was just putting more strain on Louis' tired heart.

"Skrillex?" Harry inquired.

Louis wrote that down; Niall surely loved himself some Sonny Moore. Louis' ghost of his emo-teenage phase did too. From First To Last was nostalgic and it was tragic none of his mates had appreciated his impeccable tastes back in the day. Louis tried to convert them from their hodgepodge of hair metal and electronica.