Chapter One: The Warnings

It was early in the morning, there were birds chirping and cars going by, transporting people to work. New York City was waking up around now, on this nice August morning. Children were out playing with there friends being joyous for summer to still be with them. It was a peaceful time, and the one who most pleased by it, was a fourteen year old boy named Collin Pierce.

Collin enjoyed the summer for many reasons, no school, you have a lot of free time during the day, it's warmer outside and you get to spend almost all of it with your friends. Summer was especially great this year, because Collin had spent the last ten months in peace after a very dangerous period of time where Collin had been hunted for a whole month. Collin still hadn't gotten completely used to Manhattan, but he knew it well by now. He enjoyed going for walks around the streets, and when it was raining he would watch tv with his cat and most often fall asleep before dinner. Collin had spent nearly an entire year the happiest that he could. He wasn't completely happy though, something had been keeping him a little worried at night. Collin had been in a prison ten months ago to speak with William Farris, his killer. After William had been put away, he warned Collin of a new danger coming his way. Collin has come back every few months to interrogate him, but William claims that it will ruin the surprise. The only thing William told him, was that he wasn't the danger himself and that someone else was going to try and kill him.

Collin got out of bed that morning, made himself some breakfast, and started to pass the time before he went to get his friends. Collin watched the news for an hour on the look out for any dangerous activity or anything happening inside of the prison. Collin opened the door quietly to make sure he didn't wake his parents, but more importantly his cat. If Wilbur got out on Staten Island, he would have ran around in the lawn. But in Manhattan, Wilbur would run up a busy street and never return. Collin slid outside and ran down the street. He approached Dayna and Nathan Matthews' house. He knocked on the door, he heard the doorknob twist. To his surprise, Ms. Matthews opened the door. "Hello, Collin." She said happily. Collin had only known her for a little while but from what he knew, she was always happy, and not in that creepy way that some people are. "Hi, how are you this morning?" Collin asked. "I'm doing great thanks for asking." Dayna and Nathan rushed down the stairs of their house. "Collin!"They cheered. "Bye mom, see you later." They said to There mother. And they were off to enjoy the last month of their summer break.

The three of them always walk around in Central Park, and ride the subways, when they still have time they go eat at Miguel's store. Going to Miguel's store feels even better now that him and his nephew Officer Francisco Hernandez are speaking again. They would all laugh and discuss whatever was going on at home or how Nathan is getting a learners permit. Collin hadn't been this happy in a long time and this paradise he was living in now, didn't even feel real. "So Collin, what do you think about that warming you heard from old Willie?" Dayna asked. Collin looked around for a second. "Uh, well, I'm not sure, I mean he wouldn't lie about that because he was being decisive. But it's been almost a year." Collin replied. "Collin, I suggest that around now you be extra careful, William was acting quiet for a few weeks before he asked for his phone call." Francisco asked. "Cisco is right you know, silence is a true warning of danger." Miguel added on his nephews words. "What do you know about the phone call?" Collin asked. "Well, I don't know much, we were able to find out that he was calling his oldest son, Shane Farris. Shane is his only other family member, his wife disappeared, and you know about his son Tim. Shane is nineteen, has a few objects on his criminal record." Cisco stopped, he thought well about what he said next, he didn't want to leave Collin uninformed, but he also didn't need him being too terrified to leave his house.

Cisco continued. "Shane has multiple charges of sexual assault and harassment. He has been caught abusing illegal drugs such as crystal meth and marijuana. He has also been caught in a robbery." Collin lifted his head up hearing all of this. "Why isn't he in jail?" Nathan asked. "Well the assaulting didn't have as much evidence, nor did the robbery. And the drugs he was incarcerated for but he escaped and hasn't been seen for over two years. Anyway, William asked if Shane could do a favour for him, and that's all we heard. But I would be careful Collin, if Shane Farris was doing these things before he graduated from high school, I can only imagine that by now he could be a ruthless killer or something extremely dangerous." Cisco was stopped by Collin. "I'm not afraid of a murderer, I was almost killed multiple times last year if you've forgotten." Collin was using an angry voice, but not very angry. "I fear that you should be worried though Collin, you see, William had a clean record before he started his attacks on you. On the other side, Shane was already a criminal two years ago." Collin claimed he was fine, but on the inside he was terrified.

A few hours later, Collin returned to his home and went to bed, he felt tired from today, he needed some rest for a while. He laid in his bed and stared at the ceiling, he thought about the warnings from William and now Francisco. He felt he needed to be prepared for Shane Farris to come and try to kill him. Then, in that moment of thought, the phone rang. Collin could hear the ringing from the other side of the house. His father, Joseph, came into the room. "Collin, someone's calling for you, I think that you should answer them." His dad seemed pretty alarmed. Collin picked up the phone and spoke into it. "Hello? Who is this?"He asked. Francisco answered. "Collin it's Officer Hernandez, William says he needs to speak with you, he says it's urgent!" Collin rushed out the door, he didn't know what William wanted, but he did know that if he said it was urgent, then it definitely was urgent.