Chapter 12: Nico

I change for bed once Briar leaves the bathroom. From what she told me it doesn't seem like I should be concerned, but of course I am. I will always be cautious, it's a survival tactic embedded in my DNA. Whether I like where it came from or not it's what I'm counting on to keep us all safe. Things have been pretty relaxed lately and I'm praying it stays that way. For now I trust Briar, but this family is no stranger to traitors.
   It's almost midnight when I climb into bed. Karolina lies down across from me and smiles gently. My heart flutters in my chest and I'm sure I blush but I don't care, I place my hand on the back of her neck and I pull her closer to kiss her. I feel her lips curl into a smile.
   "Goodnight, Nico."
   "Goodnight, Karrie."

   Chapter 12 continued

   Chapter 12 continued... Victor

   I peel off my wet sweatshirt and throw it at Chase.
   "Dude!"
   I just laugh and he throws it on the floor next to his chair. I pick it up and hang it in the bathroom. Nico is combing her hair at the sink.
   "Getting pretty friendly pretty fast with Greenie, aren't we." She says.
   "I could say something simaler about you and Karolina..." I reply.
   I see a slight smile spread across her lips. She tries to repress it but eventually she just gives up.
   "I'm happy for you." I add just in case she thinks I meant something else.
   "Thank you." She says.
   I wait till' Nic's done with her hair them I put on a dry t-shirt and sweatpants in the bathroom. When I'm done I walk back out and sit on the edge of the bed. Everyone else is already asleep, Molly and Klara on the pullout couch, Chase in the chair, and Nic and Karolina in eachothers arms. B is standing in front of the mirror on the door of the closet pulling her hair into a messy bun. Once she's satisfied she turns and looks at me. The expression on her face looks a little suprised like she forgot we all had to share beds...well except for Chase I guess. She's wearing one of Karolina's tie-dye shirts and a pair of her gym shorts. She walks over and falls dramatically onto the other side of the bed.
   "Thank you." She whispers turning her head towards me.
   "Anytime. Goodnight."
   "Goodnight, Victor."