XIV

"Welcome to the city of Atlanta."

I step out of the bus, squinting at the bright sunlight. The city is bustling, like always. The nostalgia grows inside me as I scan the city skyline, looking for specific landmarks. A flame statue here, a giant red V there, a giant glass building that reflects the sun at just the right angle.

I turn my attention back to the tour guide, a small thin girl with a black cap and shades. She nods at me then turns around, beginning our small, unnecessary tour.

"Once again, the city of Atlanta welcomes you, soldiers," she shouts, pushing past the large never-ending crowd of working people. They all step aside to watch us pass, little kids saluting us as we walk by. I smile, keeping my eyes on the tour guide.

She shakes her hair out of her face, pushing the longer strands of her short midnight hair behind the hat. She motions towards the buildings as she speaks, stopping every once in a while.

"And this, my fellow Americans, is the worst restaurant in the city of Atlanta," she jokes, pointing towards an infamous restaurant.

"How bold of you," Imogen smiles, raising a golden eyebrow. "How very bold of you."

"Hey, I'm just doing my job here," the tour guide responds, shrugging. A monorail stops before us and she steps on, holding a hand out as the rest of us step on and take a seat. From there, we zoom around the city, rising above a majority of the buildings.

"There is the CDC," she motions towards the government building. She continues pointing out other features of the city skyline, commenting on them and cracking jokes.

"I don't think we ever got your name," Jonah pipes up from his place in the back of the group.

The guide stops talking, hesitating with mock confusion before saying, "Finn."

I pause, realization punching me in the face, before I pull myself closer to Connor. He turns to face me, confused, before leaning closer to me.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I—" I pause, thinking of whether to tell him or not. I choose the latter. "The girl just looks like someone who went to my old high school.

Connor turns to face me, skeptical, but he leaves it alone. We continue the journey in silence, no one talking except for Finn. She resumes her planned speech as if nothing happened, pointing below us at the massive aquarium.

We the monorail stops, Finn hops off, swiping her card before she leaves. We all do the same, staying quiet as we push our way through the never-ending crowd of workers.

We stop at a small restaurant, about the size of one whole city block. We take a seat, divining ourselves up into four-person groups. I take a seat with Connor, choosing to sit by his side than across from him as Finn slides into the seat across from us.

"So, how are you guys enjoying the tour?" she asks, her shades still blocking out her eyes. She raises an eyebrow, turning her head from Connor to me. I say nothing, turning the menu over again and again in my hands.

"It was nice," Connor speaks up, his voice cutting through our silence, even though the restaurant was pulsing with activity. People screaming at the karaoke station, others laughing in their large groups, music blasting over the state of the art speakers.

"That's good to hear." She nods her head as she flips through the menu, her golden rings reflecting the purple lights from above us into my eyes. I clench my fist and take in a deep breath, quietly handing my menu to a waiter as he approaches the table.