"Sit," Eric murmured to me as I finally had room to breathe. "I'll grab you something before Michael hands you a whole plate of steak."

"There's nothing wrong with steak," the pouting wolf replied, before they both left me in the company of Jenny, Rebecca and Lydia, Marcus' little sister.  My parents were mingling elsewhere, having already congratulated me.  They had admitted being somewhat involved in the planning of the wedding, but had claimed that it was all my mates' idea.  They had also briefly mentioned that they had considered inviting my uncle and cousins, but then reconsidered.  They knew that I did not get on well with the attention seeking Anne Marie and had worried that her presence might spoil things for me.  I think that they were wise; there is no way she wouldn't have caused a fuss the moment she witnessed that I had snagged two gorgeous specimens of manhood.  She was not the only one.

"I'm so jealous!" Lydia complained, her birthday was in less than six weeks and hopefully she would find her mate soon after. "Why did you have to steal two hunky men from the market?"

I laughed as Luna Rebecca rolled her eyes, apparently having heard the same complaint several times over the past few months from her spoiled daughter. All of the girl's friends were finding their mates amongst the pack and neighbouring wolves, but being one of the youngest in her year, she had had to wait. "Now, if I have this right," Jenny said as she stroked the healthy swell of her stomach. "Those two hunky men were already off of the market before Alex came into their lives, so you wouldn't have stood a chance with them anyway." Lydia crossed her arms about her chest and pouted. She had physically blossomed into a young woman since the last time I saw her, but in spirit she was clearly the same pup.

"So," I said, leaning towards Jenny. "When's the pup due?" Her smile turned tender and her eyes glanced down at the clear fruit of Marcus and her mating.

"Three months left," she replied.

"Do you know if it is a boy or a girl?" I asked, curiously.

She shook her head. "I wanted it to be a surprise." The Luna beamed at her glowing daughter-in-law, clearly very proud.

"It'll be a boy," Marcus declared, as he placed a plate heaped with meat and a tiny side of salad in front of his beloved mate. "A strong alpha Male, like his daddy." Jenny sighed and laughed, a small knowing look in her eye as if she held a secret close to her heart that would surprise everyone.

"So what about you?" Lydia asked me, bluntly.

"What about me?" I asked, confused by her leap in conversation.

"Do you three plan to have kids?" Lydia asked, as she stole a sausage from Jenny's plate and began eating it. Like brother, like sister, I guess. "And if so, how will you go about it?" Marcus growled at her, not sure if that was for the meat theft or for the question.

"Lydia!" Luna Rebecca, on the other had was clearly offended, on my behalf, by the question.

"What? I'm just curious," she sulked. "The only other gays in the pack are Charles and Adam and they won't tell me."

"I am not surprised!" Luna continued to reprimand her. "It's none of your business what they plan to do! Now stop stealing your sister's dinner and go get something for yourself!" Lydia rose from her seat and stalked off still sulking. "I am so sorry," the Luna apologised to me.

"It's okay," I replied, just glad to have gotten away from that subject for the time being. It's one thing to confess to your ma.. husbands that you can carry their children, despite your gender. It's completely different ball game to share that information with others, even those as close to you as these guys once were.

"But in all seriousness," Marcus began taking the seat next to me. "What do you plan to do?" At all the silent stares his way he added quickly; "I don't mean pup-wise, I meant..." he sighed. "You won't be coming back to the pack, will you?" His question ended with a slight whine.

"No, Marcus," I said, the guilt rising in my stomach once more. It wasn't for what I said or for the crush I once had for him. It was for the fact that, although it wasn't my fault, I kind of ruined his big day, three years ago and then abandoned him without word after I had woken up. I couldn't help the former, though it must have been terrible for him to have found his best friend collapsed and unconscious in the woods after a wonderful day with his mate. But the latter was all me. "But I promise to visit," I told him. "I swear that this time, it's not an empty promise. I was cruel to run away like I did, I am sorry."

Marcus wrapped his arms around me. "That wasn't your fault," he said, but I felt the water upon his cheeks as he held me close. The Luna ran her hand up and down my back, projecting her warmth. "You didn't ask to be so cruelly rejected."

"It hurt," I replied, honestly. "And I was depressed for a long time. But I can't regret my past anymore. If it hadn't happened, if I hadn't fled, I wouldn't have met them. I love them, Marcus, so much. But I wished I had at least let you know I was okay."

"You should have told me where you were," he grumbled, pulling away.

"You would have dragged me back," I accused and laughed as his face scrunched as if he was trying to deny this.

"Excuse us," Eric said, with a dangerous purr before placing a plate filled with vegetables, salad, chicken and a lone burger before me. Marcus rolled his eyes heavenward, but relinquished the seat to my mate, just as Michael appeared and took the seat to my other side. Eric had something similar to me upon his own plate, but Michael had opted for an array of thick steaks.

"I never thought you would be mated to men," Marcus grumbled as he bit into his hotdog. Mustard spilled from the bun, he always did like too much of it. "I suppose the other person was also a guy like Charles always claimed." I simply nodded, chewing on the juicy, tender chicken. "No wonder I could never pin point that person. I wanted to pound them out for hurting you."

"You would have never hit a girl!" I scoffed, poking a chargrilled pepper with my fork.

"Well... no... but I would have told her off," he grumbled. "And handed her to Lydia, maybe." I laughed at that. Lydia had been such a small thing at the time, no height, no weight, just all mouth. "But now I know it was a guy, I can kick the shit out of him, right? You just got to name names!"

"Let it go, Marcus," I sighed.

"Actually," Michael said, suddenly. "I'm with him on this." I glanced over at Michael, whose wolf was clearly eager to join in. Unlike Marcus, Michael knew the name of that person, but knew I didn't really want to speak of it.  But if I shared now... Marcus grinned broadly and pounded his fist into his other hand, ready to brawl.

"I'm not saying a word," I told them, stubbornly, filling my mouth with the yummy food, wondering idly if there was french dressing around anywhere. Eric nuzzled into my neck, purring and pleading with me to change my mind as all three waited expectantly. The Luna shook her head at my predicament, before glancing over at her shoulder and staring at something. I followed her glance to see a large shadow of my past, who was greeted by his pack mates.

"Marcus!" She squealed, distracting him. "Isn't that David over there?" Marcus' eyes widened upon noticing the man, clearly surprised for some reason.  Michael stiffened, his eyes narrowed as he followed their gazes.

"Not a word," I repeated, mostly to myself.

Mates of a Humanजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें