Chapter eleven: Leigh

*Leigh*

I catch my reflection in the water when I'm at my rock on the surface.

Just like every other mermaid and merman I've met, my skin sparkles subtly, my skin is clear and flawless, my hair is long and wavy when always wet pretty much, my eyes are brown with green specks that sparkle with the moonlight, and my tail is brown with orange sparkles. I can see that more than everything else, but when I'm at the surface under sunlight or moonlight, it's easier to see.

Mary is a beautiful older woman with short light brown hair, brown sparkling eyes, flawless skin that shows no age, a light brown tail, and a beautiful comforting smile. She makes me feel safe when she's around, like nothing can hurt me. She has a sweetness like no other, and she is such a good mother to Laura.

Laura is a little girl with medium length blonde hair, blue eyes that sparkle like water, a blue tail to match, an adorable almost baby face and a smile that shows such excitement and innocence that only a child could have.

It's like everyone down here never ages. Mary has mentioned how old she is and I don't believe it even though I'm sure she's not lying. Laura is 8 years old, I'm 17, and Mark has said he is 18.

Mark is too handsome, if that makes sense. He almost looks like a doll. That perfect hair, that flawless skin with sparkling green eyes, the perfectly white picture-perfect smile. I always joke to him that he must have been a model in a former life. He could for sure be a merman model.

Other mermaids and mermen I have met in passing have been just as doll-like and flawless. A girl with beautiful red hair, green eyes to match her green tail, a look of wonder and excitement always on her face. A guy with black hair, blue eyes with a blue tail, who's always with the red-haired girl. I never caught their names, but they look like an adorable couple.

There are also girls with blue hair and blue tails, purple hair and purple tails, etc. So many different kinds of people and so many different kinds of combinations. They are all flawless doll-like creatures that could be mermaid/mermen models.

There are more children that Laura sometimes sees. Her best friend is a boy named Daniel, and every time I see him, I get a feeling that I've seen him somewhere before. He has dark brown hair with hazel eyes and a gray tail. Mary says they would make a cute couple, I think they're really good cute friends that could go that way when they're older if they want. But for now, they're kids and should enjoy being kids.

When I mention anything about Laura's future, though, Mary gets a sad look on her face. I don't know why, and I don't want to ask because I hate to see her sad, so I move on.

I live in a sea of beautiful people, and sometimes I feel like the odd one out. But I do adore swimming around with not a care in the world.

~*~