Reader's Group Discussion Questions

Thank you for choosing The Fountain of Truth as the subject for your reading discussion. The following questions are meant to guide readers through the conversation, but they should in no way limit where it goes or decide which ideas the group focuses on.

And it should be noted that the following questions may contain spoilers. Think of it as those test questions you look at ahead of time to validate the answers to questions you've already attempted (read: bonus test-taking tips!).

In "The Fountain of Truth," who is "Valiant," why does he think his customers want to tell the truth, and why does he think that giving them the "gift of truth" is a gift worth giving?

What does "The Fountain of Truth" say about our fundamental right to say what we want when we want?

Does "Valiant" do the right thing getting the truth out of his customers? Does he do the right thing for himself?

In "Christmas Log," how does each character differ from the other as an archetype? Do these differences make for a more compelling story, or would the story be the same if each character were a copy of the other?

Does Gordon deserve to win the prize for his method of escape, or do you think he cheats the system? Why?

Is Harvey's fate fair, or does he deserve a better ending? Why?

If you had volunteered for a similar contest, how would you try to break out of the room?

In "St. Nick's Gym," does St. Nick seem better off alone or with his helpers? Why?

Why does St. Nick have such a cold reception to his elven guests? What can you speculate about the history of St. Nick that may influence his desire for isolation?

Does "family" or "friends" or even "customers" make St. Nick's life better or just unnecessarily complicated, and what would his life be like (and ours) if he had sent Buddy off to fend for himself during the first encounter instead of taking him in as an employee?

How does this alternative view of the origin of Santa Claus affect the story you already know?

The stories of The Fountain of Truth are billed as fables. What merit do fables have in our modern society, if any? Which of the three stories has the most relevant message for our time, and why? What else would you like to say about these fables?

 What merit do fables have in our modern society, if any? Which of the three stories has the most relevant message for our time, and why? What else would you like to say about these fables?