Christmas Log (Part 3)

Later that night, the psychologist awarded Gordon his million-dollar paycheck, and Gordon used the money to better himself, better his investments, and better those in need around him. He also gave the guard the cut he had promised him, which was good because the guard had a new baby on the way, and could've really used the help.

Peter, the artist, earned his twenty thousand dollars and trip to Europe five days later, when he managed to scoop the key out from the log after carving fourteen inches down near the head of the canoe, while forming what would've become a seat and footwell. He abandoned his project when he realized he could make something better using better tools, which he could now buy thanks to his twenty thousand-dollar payoff. He also resolved to pitch his next project to museum curators when he was ready to visit the Louvre.

Douglas, the depressed businessman, earned his free dinner for two a week and a half later, when he finally decided that waiting for the log to erode was foolish, and that he was better off just hacking the thing to pieces. Because he had taken action several days after everyone else had started, he was too far behind to catch up. But his growing thirst from having only one gallon of water left was enough to knock him out of his stupor, and he was diligent after that. As soon as he found the key, he realized that all he really needed this whole time was just a little push. Now that he had it, he thought he'd use his free dinner for two as an opportunity to impress a new business connection and hopefully rise out of his funk. He stole the pencil from the table to commemorate the moment he had embraced his newfound spark. Maybe he could sign a deal with it.

Harvey, the angry policeofficer, was carried out of his cell and put on life support about twentyminutes after he'd passed out. Because the rules did state that he had to walkout of the room, not get carried out, he had to forfeit his second-place prizeto the next person who actually walked out on his own two feet. The rules hadalso forgone any mention of liability in the case of injury, so Harvey was leftresponsible for his own medical bills, which included treatment for smokeinhalation and third-degree burns. He later lost his job for having been awayfor so long, and for basically being physically unfit to continue. The fire he'dstarted managed to char the log and burn the needles off of every tree in theroom, but it did not reduce any of it to cinders like he had hoped. However,when facility workers came in to extinguish the fire, they cut the remains ofthe log open to find that the metal key had melted from intense heat. The radiostation decided to bill Harvey for damages. It also had to report the incident toauthorities as possible arson and an endangerment to others, to cover its ownbutt from liability. Harvey's legal future remains in question to this day.