Forty: Always

Chapter Forty: Always

A/N: I really need to tell you all that I appreciate you so, so much. I would never have had the motivation to keep writing if it weren't for you guys, and I'm so happy to have each and every one of you. I don't think I show you guys how much you all mean to me but then again, I don't think it would be possible. You have given me an escape from reality and while people say that can be a bad thing, it's not. Everyone needs one once in a while. I love you guys so, so much and I never want to disappoint you.

__________
Song of the chapter:
Home by Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros (if you know me at all you know stuck in love is my all time favorite movie in the history of movies ever made on this universe ever and this song is in the opening ok)
__________

Her laugh was music to my ears, and her smile warmed my entire body from top to bottom. Every time I brought either of those things from her, I couldn't stop myself from wanting to do it again. Her entire presence lit up the restaurant.

"You know, I usually don't like going out and being all fancy," she began once we both finished our meals and payed.

I took a drink of my water and folded my arms on the table. "Oh, thanks," my tone was sarcastic and joking.

"No, no, you didn't let me finish!" she laughed, leaning forward as she did. She shyly looked down and traced her fingers along the chain of her necklace with the letter "N" on it. "I usually don't like to do this, but I'm having fun."

Shrugging, I rested my chin in the palm of my hand. "That's because you're with me."

"Shut up," she shook her head, looking down again.

As she did so, my eyes browsed over her for the millionth time that night. Her overall appearance was so normal and so was her attitude and mindset. In fact, I didn't think I had ever seen her better. She managed to be a whole new person, but still the same Natalie I fell in love with. The dim lighting in the restaurant presented her with a soft glow and shadows to define her features.

"We should probably get going, we don't want to be late," I finally said in an attempt to snap myself out of my trance. She was just so beautiful to me, I couldn't help it.

She tipped her head to the side and raised her eyebrow. "Late?"

I nodded and stood up, grabbing her hand. I pulled her along with me towards the exit of the restaurant. Her laughter behind me was enough to keep my energy up as we climbed into my car and began driving off. The windows were down, her dark blonde hair falling in front of her face. Her smile was enough to light up the entire town, as stupid as that sounded. But it was true. It was capable of making me feel so many things, and I was convinced that it could rip my heart right out of my chest.

I was okay with that.

"I wish you would just tell me where we're going," she stated, her head turning to me.

We were about ten minutes from the beach and there was no way I was going to crack at that point. "Would you relax? You have no reason to be stressing out over this."

She sighed and pursed her lips. I knew she wasn't annoyed or irritated, but she was trying to figure out where I was taking her. In response, I laughed and dropped a hand from the steering wheel, finding hers only to interlock our fingers. Her eyes trailed up to me-- I could feel them as my own focused on the fairly empty road ahead. To my surprise, she brought our hands up to her lips and rested them on the back of mine. I was overwhelmed with a state of comfort and satisfaction because I knew she did that for my sake.