Eighteen: Trust Me

Eighteen: Trust Me
__________
Song of the chapter: 
Treacherous by Taylor Swift
__________

Though I thought I couldn't survive it, the dinner went extremely well. Not only did Justin and Mark click almost immediately, but Mark conversed with me as if nothing at all happened. I was okay with that because I knew it was his way of showing that everything was fine. He understood what was going on, and it was nothing to be mad over. It was only the truth that I told him.

I couldn't remember the last time I laughed so hard. There wasn't any certain thing that caused our laughter because it was many things. It was strange how well all three of us got along, but I liked it. It made me feel something -- like I had a family.

"Alright, see you later!" Justin waved at Mark from the front door, a smile on his face. I opened the door, for I was heading over to Justin's for a little while. When he asked if I wanted to, I didn't hesitate the slightest because I craved the happiness he was bringing me. I hadn't felt a warmth like that in so long that it was nearly impossible for me to reject his offer.

Mark waved to the both of us from the kitchen, smiling as well. "Nice meeting you!"

"You too!"

The conversation ceased when both Justin and I stepped out of my home and I closed the door, leaving us alone in the summer's nighttime. The sky was a dark orange, indicating that it would be its typical black very soon. Stars would be scattered across the sky unevenly and the moon would be placed randomly among them. The rain had stopped, leaving the streets with a random arrangement of puddles. The soft breeze tangled in my hair and blew it back just barely, allowing it to gently fall back into place when the wind paused.

Skipping down the steps, I tucked my bottom lip in my mouth to fight back the smile that was ready to show. I couldn't seem to stop myself. I was just so happy that things were okay even if they were just for that moment. It was a new, amazing feeling that I couldn't get enough of.

Justin was beside me and I could feel him watching me struggle to maintain my normal attitude. When he laughed, I knew he was going to point it out. "What?"

Shaking my head, I didn't look at him and I shrugged my shoulders nonchalantly. "Nothing."

I could still feel his gaze on me as we continued across the street, causing me to finally look over at him. His milk chocolate brown eyes melted into mine, causing my stomach to flip involuntarily in my stomach. I didn't know why it happened, but it had been happening constantly since that moment in his car. It wasn't at all awkward during dinner because I was too preoccupied with our conversation. It pulled my mind away from our almost-kiss, which I was glad didn't happen.

Who are you kidding? a voice snickered in my head. You wanted it to happen. Stop lying to yourself.

"Seriously, what?" he was still smiling, bringing a warm sensation into my face. I didn't even see him smiling, but just thinking of it made me feel that way. I didn't know what was happening to me, but for some reason, I didn't mind it. I kind of went along with it.

Again, I shrugged my shoulders and avoided the warm, familiar stare that grew on me so quickly as if my life depended on it. Oddly enough though, I wasn't doing it because I didn't want him to look at me like I usually did.

"Natalie, if you don't tell me, I'll--"

"You'll what?" I interrupted, abruptly stopping and bringing my attention to his. I placed my hands on my hips and showed him a bold smile when he turned around and stopped walking as well. We stood at the very end of his driveway, him a few feet away from me with a playful twinkle in his eye. His soft smile grew into a daring one, letting me know I better make a run for it.