thirty

"We're going shopping tonight," Brad announces as we walk into school together. My dad had dropped me off today, so Brad met me at the car park.

"Are we? What for?"

He gives me a strange look. "For Christmas, what else for?"

"Right," I say, nodding. "I forgot about Christmas presents. What do you want?"

"You don't have to get me anything," he says and I roll my eyes at him. Of course I have to get him something, it's one of my responsibilities of being a best friend.

"I'm still gonna get you something, you're just making my decision harder."

"Jamie," he says my name sternly and I look up at him, tilting my head. "Don't get me anything. I don't want—or need—anything."

"Fine, you can't get me anything then."

He throws me a look as though I'm being ridiculous. "Of course I have to get you something."

"And I've got to get you something," I tell him, looking around the hallway and my eyes land on the boys from yesterday. I hold my breath and look away, edging closer towards Brad.

He notices and frowns, putting his arm over my shoulder protectively. "What's up?" His eyes flicker around us and before I can answer, he spots the boys. "Don't worry, Jamie, they're not gonna do anything. I've made sure of it."

"Yeah," I say quietly, playing with the straps on my shoulders before letting out a soft sigh. "So, Christmas shopping—when?"

"Tonight," he reminds me. "It's not gonna be as busy and I've got to go to the tracks this weekend, too."

I nod. "That's fine, my dad shouldn't mind."

"I'll take you home," Brad says. "So that your dad doesn't worry."

Brad and my dad have only met once briefly a couple of weeks ago. It was awkward since I didn't know he was going to be back from work that day and my dad didn't know I had a friend 'round—never mind a boy. Long story short, my dad ended up interrogating Brad until he made my friend promise to 'protect me always', which was embarrassing and awkward for me.

I smile gratefully. "I feel bad that you're always chauffeuring me around. Maybe I'll just buy you a petrol station for Christmas so that you can fill up you car for free."

"I don't mind taking you everywhere," Brad assures me, "and like I said, don't get me a present."

"I'm getting you a present."

+

I still had no idea what I was going to get Brad for Christmas. I had messaged James during lunch asking what Brad would want by James said don't bother because Brad's difficult to buy for. He was no help.

"You okay?" Brad asks as we walk down the hallway. We were on our way to our last lesson of the day—Phys Ed.

"I'm fine," I tell him. "I'm just thinking about what to get you for Christmas."

He rolls his eyes at me. "Don't bother, I don't need anything."

"I don't care," I say. "I'll buy you something, whether you like it or not. What about a new watch? Or tickets to a football game? Or—?"

"Jamie," he quickly stops us from walking and stands in front of me, his hands lightly on my arms. "Don't get my anything for Christmas, okay? I don't need anything."

"I'll find something to get you," I tell him stubbornly. "It's gonna be great, mark my words."

"Jamie," he warns me with his eyebrows raised. "Don't get me any—,"